16) 7 days

The hairdresser pinned the last lock of curls behind her back, securing the style using a hair-setting spray

The hairdresser pinned the last lock of curls behind her back, securing the style using a hair-setting spray. She smiled at her hard work and unveiled the mirror in Dhwani's room, letting her client have a look.

She was Zohra Siddique, the celebrity make-up artist who was hired by Anirudh Chauhan to help his wife ready for the annual company Gala, one where his wife will be making her first official presence. It was the most awaited event in the business world, with the moguls awaiting their invitation to the highly anticipated event in the city. This year, the occasion was doubled with excitement, guests, anxiety, and flowing anticipation with the youngest Chauhan brother's engagement.

She had to help this woman dress up in her amber silk gown that clinched on her chest and waist, flowing down past her heels: no straps but a series of buttons on the side that took an hour to fix.

Not that she was complaining, the young woman looked nowhere fussy overlooks. She had let Zohra play princess on her for the past two hours, not making a noise of protest or throwing a tantrum on not getting to look at her reflection.

Dhwani Chauhan sat deep in thinking while Zohra played her magic and turned this beautiful woman into a desirable enigma.

Her personality put diamonds to shame as their job to compliment her was done by those brown eyes and her composure put silk to sit back and enjoy, fearless as there was no fire to burn it to ashes. She looked like a freshwater stream, the flowing water is crystal clear but created an illusion to hide no demons yet holding back secrets as they settle in its pit.

The artist admired her calmness and bid her farewell, leaving her client to check herself before she was summoned downstairs.

This was the moment Dhwani could utilize and save herself from the never-ending begrudging session of elites, wives, and the high society ladies. All she had to do was lock the door and never step out of this room until this family left forgetting her existence.

She had maintained a false composure but not anymore. She was freaked out at the fact that she will be between the same wolves who had pushed her to tears once. She cannot be there again.

Not sparing a glance at her reflection, she hurried to execute the command from her brain. Reaching the door, she was ready to slam it shut when a palm pushed it open.

"Don't even think about it."

Being caught in the act, Dhwani clenched her eyes shut and refused to look up at the man she shared her space with.

"I know you better than you think, Petal." He goaded and took a step inside.

His shoes touched her heel-cladded toes and Dhwani looked up at him, letting the vulnerability in her eyes be received by him.

"I don't want to go." She hoped for one last chance to halt her racing heart.

"You won't be alone." He reasoned, eyes figuring the root of fear that seemed to be displayed naked on her face.