38) Destruction

The day needed to end now

The day needed to end now. It had to.
It had elongated more than required and he was done for. He could feel the fatigue creeping into his bones, a long marathon of hours that have morphed away to feel lengthier than that of a decade nowhere seemed to end.

He needed to blink and look away.

He needed to sit back and take a calming sigh.

He needed to sleep and call the day off but nothing he needed was coming to him.

Uttara Chauhan included.

Vidyut threw the gates open for the hospital terrace, sniffing into the thick evening air and letting his throbbing headache calm for a while, only for it to intensify as the pungent smell of smoke reached him. Glancing behind his shoulder, he watched her take a deep inhale and lean against the wall exhaling rings of smoke one could choke on.

His deadly stare met a set of wandering eyes that dipped in recognition. A foreign veil covering her brown eyes often frowned in critical thinking inside the four walls of the hospital.

"Would you mind me smoking, Dr. Vidyut?" She asked politely, yet no trace of humility would make her throw the lit stick away.

"You can carry on, Dr. Jiya." His crisp tone earned a nod and another shot before she threw it down, crushing the burning end and joining him near the railings. "You should have continued."

"Not when you have joined me here." Her simple eyes said a lot more than he could read while her words were loud and clear. "You look like you could use some company and I wouldn't shy away from that offer."

"This is your first misjudgment, Doctor." He assessed. The woman was one of the best doctors in his hospital and a successful batchmate.

"Not first." She glared at the sky pensively. Fingers tapping on the steel top clutched it as she turned to him. "I heard what went down with Mrs. Chauhan."

The bite and discomfort were clear as daylight in the address.

"I came looking for solitude, Dr. Jiya which I don't think is left here." He gritted his molars and turned to walk out of this upcoming pity.

"And, I am glad that she took a step toward her favorite man." She ignored his glare. "Not every woman could make decisions like that. If she chose to be with the man she once liked or may still hold feelings for. She should go back to him if that is what she wants."

"Enough, Jiya!"

"Why? I was just stating the facts, Vidyut." She was unbothered by his rage. "I wish I could have done the same. I should have chosen to follow my heart instead of keeping everything bottled up for years."

"What are you getting at?" Vidyut fisted his fingers stopping himself back from yanking her arm and forcing answers out from this woman he had known for a better part of his career.