Dreams Are A Fickle Thing

Here's another chapter for you all. This one is where the horror ramps up a bit more. Enjoy!
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 10: Dreams Are A Fickle Thing

Terror and chaos. That's all that swarmed the Gerudo's mind as she and her cohorts fled from Gerudo Valley. Entering Hyrule Field, she searched around frantically for the right direction. Where Castle Town might lie.

She spotted the drawbridge. The morning light beamed down onto the top of the gate, slowly making its way downward as the sun rose to greet the new day.

"This way!" She screamed to her two friends.

They quickly caught up with her and the three continued to run. The image of the open drawbridge grew closer and closer, but so did the large shadow that was chasing them. They didn't need to see that the shadow had no source to know what it was.

One of the shadow's limbs rose from the ground and appeared as a physical object. From the tip it fired a dark beam of energy at the trio it was pursuing. It struck the ground and set the grass ablaze. It fired again, getting closer to hitting its escapees. After a third time, the rightmost Gerudo had her leg pierced with what it fired.

"Kyojin!" The lead Gerudo heard the yelp of pain her friend made when she was struck.

"I-I'm fine, we need to go!" Kyojin replied, her voice uneasy.

"Ante! Help Kyojin!" The lead barked orders at her companion, and the two helped the third up by supporting her shoulders.

The group was significantly slower now, and the shadow grew ever closer to reaching them. What it'd do if it caught them was unknown, but none wanted to find out.

They were just a couple dozen meters from the drawbridge now. Almost to safety. The sound of warbled energy whizzed past the trio of Gerudo as they hastily ran. The shadow revealed more of itself, albeit lacking a true form. It only appeared as a large mass of darkness, features barely distinguishable. All one could really tell was that it was round. Not the best in terms of helping.

Ante's legs were starting to tire, but she kept on running.

"I don't think this is going to work!" Kyojin said with sorrow. She looked back at stared in horror as the amorphous blob of black suddenly grew an eye.

When the leftmost Gerudo looked at the mass in the eye, her face went pale. The others didn't know what was happening, but what she saw nearly petrified her.

"Almost there! Flavi! See if you can flag anyone down!" Ante pleaded.

Flavi was brought back to reality and looked at the entrance to Castle Town. There wasn't anyone awake, not even the guard who lowered the bridge just a few minutes before. Lousy stiff.

Suddenly, a distant figure came into view. Their green attire stood out from the beige and grey colors of everything else around them. Flavi hollered as loud as she could to get their attention.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link had just woken up. He wanted to get out of the house for some fresh air. First day back in Hyrule after his weekend in Termina. Yawning and stretching his arms upward, he moseyed around town before seeing something in the distance, just outside the gate.

All it looked like was some small dots. They grew larger and larger, and Link realized they were people. People running. Running away from something unknown, but they seemed to be in a panic.

Link started walking towards them. When a large, dark sphere entered his line of sight, he picked up his pace. Breaking out into a full-on sprint, he inwardly thanked himself deciding to put his gear on earlier in the morning. He met up with the group right in front of the Guard House.