Some Kind Of Hero

Sorry for the break! Life has been a little odd lately, but I promise, the next chapter for "Out There In The Dark" is coming! This here is actually one of my favorite chapters for Twilight of Danger. Enjoy!
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 21: Some Kind of Hero

After that, the Goron left, walking back towards the village. Link was happy that he had reconciled with at least one of the loved ones of the departed. But the next place he needed to visit was one where he was a lot more afraid to see. Link hopped onto Epona, and she trotted away, directly towards the Great Bay.

As soon as he was in view of the sea, he saw her. Lulu. She was standing right by the grave of her lover, a familiar look on her face. He got off from Epona and slowly made his way towards her.

Silence permeated the two as they stood before the guitar. Link wasn't sure how he should begin.

"So... How are you?" The twelve-year-old said.

"Fine." Lulu replied rather matter-of-factly. At least she was talking to him.

That was all there was for a while. Waves gently hit the beach as they stood, giving their respects. Link wasn't concerned on time. As far as Lulu was concerned, he had all the time in the world.

"He taught me a lot... Even though he was only alive for a moment." Link started with a heavy heart.

"And what would that be?" Lulu snapped, accidentally making her tone wittier that she wanted.

"That you can still live on after death... and be a hero when there isn't one around." Link could still see the dedication in Mikau's eyes as he played his final song. It was abstract, sure, but it helped the boy see what the Zora had lived for.

Even on the brink of death, Mikau only had one thing on his mind. His love. Aching pain went along all around his body, but he fought it to sing. When things could have been too dangerous to say, he sang.

"Do you think of yourself as some kind of hero?" Lulu asked.

Link was taken aback by the question. For a while, he never questioned what made him a 'hero'. He just accepted it silently and pressed on. Endless responses swarmed his head.

"Well?" Lulu asked, tired of not getting any kind of answer.

"No..." Link said, and Lulu's eyes widened. He looked down at the beige tunic he wore and noted the lack of sword or shield on his back. "I'm just a person who helps out. Being a hero... means that you're willing to give up a lot for a cause. I'm... not quite there yet."

Anger poisoned Lulu's mind and she finally turned to face Link. Raising her arm up, she wanted to slap the boy just as she did before. But Link didn't falter, didn't try to dodge, didn't attempt to shield himself, anything. He just stood still and closed his eyes, waiting for it to happen.

It never did.

When Link opened his eyes again, Lulu was holding her hand with the other, caressing her palm with her thumb and looking at both solemnly. He instinctively tilted his head, perplexed on what changed.

"You're just like him..." Lulu mumbled, frowning.

Link's heart sank at that notion. The worst thing he could have done was remind someone of who they lost. He felt almost sick to his stomach and grew a little dizzy.

"He would always talk like that... Act noble and at times embarrass himself, just to make sure others would feel... better." Lulu hated admitting how much Link and Mikau were similar. Oddly fitting considering they shared each other's strengths just to get the eggs back.