When The World Falls Away

Oh boy, I hope this one does well. I'm very proud of the horror seen in this chapter. I think you all will like it. And, for more acute readers, you may notice a few parallels with the main monster here and a race of some from another game series. Enjoy!
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 11: When the World Falls Away

Link nearly fell over for the third time. Rubbing the dark bags under his eyes, he yawned heavily and still remained awake.

The guard who usually slept atop the turret was fully alert now, but not because of any sort of duty. Because of Link. For almost three whole days, Link hadn't gotten a drop of sleep. His eyes were almost frighteningly bloodshot, and his hair was a complete mess. Clothes were wrinkled and had a faint odor accompanying them. His condition was worrying, not only for the fellow guard, but everyone he knew. No one had ever seen him like this.

Link fought to stay conscious. Every few minutes another yawn escaped his lips. He had something in his mouth, chewing being the one of the only things keeping him awake and active.

Romani approached, and the guard heard her footsteps. Turning around, she waved and signaled for a report. Again, not on any kind of duties, but on the teenager who hadn't slept for over 60 hours.

"Nothing much different, ma'am. I noticed he drinks a red potion every once in a while..." The guard said, rubbing his neck and looking at the hero. He figured that must be how he's managed to stay up for so long.

"Romani told him to not do that." Romani grumbled, watching Link lean on the wall adjacent to the drawbridge. Such a method could hurt him over time.

For once, Link didn't hear the conversation behind him. He was so exhausted; his own hearing wasn't what it used to be. Sleep would definitely get him back up to his best, but a little voice inside his head told him he wouldn't like what he would see if he did.

Opening his item bag, Link spat out the small bit of food in his mouth and felt around for another bottle. When he grabbed one and pulled it from the bag, it was empty. He tilted his head back and groaned.

He would need to go back to the shop and buy some more. His rupees were running low now, but some lawn work would help him stock up. Turning back and walking past Romani and the guard, he went into town. Each step he took was a little weary. His hands twitched involuntarily, and his stomach growled.

Going through the door of the potion shop, Link rung up the merchant and waited to buy his drinks, setting three bottles on the counter.

"We actually have something new this evening. Milk, straight from R- er, Lon Lon Ranch!" The merchant picked up a large bottle, its label hastily drawn over to resemble the Hylian Ranch.

Link knew right away it wasn't from Lon Lon, but he hardly cared. Reaching into his wallet, he got out the amount of rupees he needed.

"Would you like that stirred with ice?" The merchant asked, looking at a paper a certain redhead left him alongside the milk.

"Does it look like I give a damn?" Link said, his tone making it clear what kind of a mood he was in.

The merchant took a step back, not expecting the profanity to come from the hero's mouth. After an annoyed look from the teen, he simply collected the bottles Link put on the counter and filled them with milk, then giving them to the tired boy.

Link left the shop, drinks in hand, and went home for a second. He walked up the stairs and entered his room, eyes landing on the chest in the corner containing all of the items he didn't need in his bag. He had to find something else to do to drive away his tiredness.