Dark Shadows Follow Me

This chapter is a bit on the shorter side, but it's still important! Enjoy!
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 20: Dark Shadows Follow Me

"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

That phrase was all that could course through Link's head as blew the final note. Then the storm came rolling in. Rain pelted the ground like a volley of arrows soaring towards their target. Each drop was filled with sadness, regret, and grief. When the humidity got dense, the boy knew what was about to come next.

A blinding flash of light came forth from the sky and hit the dirt road leading Link from Hyrule Castle back to town. More followed, making the clouds rumble with rage. Each step felt heavy, but the boy in green pressed on back home.

Link was a little happy that he could manage to come to an agreement with the rightfully angry princess of Hyrule, but the conversation he had to make next was the cause for all his dread. The things he would need to confront and explain just made his grip on the hat in his hands tighten. When he realized how firmly he was holding the memento, he cursed himself and unclenched his fists.

The rain didn't last long, as it always did with the Song of Storms. The splash of Link's boot hitting a puddle kept him alert. When he entered Castle Town again, he sighed, thinking about how he'd set everything up.

Pushing some crates around, he managed to get a line of them positioned just beyond the front door. It'd be a good place for them to sit while he explained himself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romani woke up just as the sun began to peek through the bedroom window. Slowly sitting up and stretching, she gasped when she saw that all she had covering herself was Link's blanket. Fumbling around the room, she retrieved her dress that was tossed into the floor and slipped back into it.

When she sat back down onto the bed, a small sheet of paper on the nightstand caught her eye. Reaching over and grabbing it, she could tell who it was from by the handwriting alone.

"Meet outside when everyone else is up. -L." That was it.

Romani stared off into space for a moment, thinking about the night before. The reflective conversation she and Link had was still fresh in her mind. All the things they said. Children, mottos, the future. She hoped they weren't just said to buy time.

After some time, Romani reluctantly left the bed and exited the room. She decided to go to Jim and the fairies' bedroom. Spotting another note on the middle nightstand, she knew what it must've said, as she closed the door and made for the kitchen.

Only 10 minutes later, Romani could hear footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Romani?" Anju asked, rubbing her tired eyes. Kafei was right behind her.

"Hm?" Romani turned to face the innkeeper.

"Where's Link?" Anju held the note she found on her dresser up and Romani mused about how efficient Link was at sneaking around. Three notes all in everyone's respective rooms without waking anyone up? Impressive.

"Romani doesn't know. She found a similar note, too." Romani controlled herself. She had no clue what Link planned, but she didn't want to get anyone else's hopes up.

"So... What did you and Link talk about last night?" Kafei piped up when he got to the stove, just next to Romani.

"About stuff." Romani kept her smile a secret.

"What kind of stuff?" Kafei wasn't in the mood for keeping things unanswered. The events of the day prior made sure he didn't get much sleep. Not because of haunted dreams, but because of what he feared his son was becoming.