Spectres

This one is all about paranoia. I hope you're ready! Enjoy!
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 16: Spectres

Epona stopped just short of the house. Everyone was back in Hyrule. Seeing Castle Town no longer a mess, carpenters starting work on rebuilding the Happy Mask Shop, repairing the fountain, replacing the shingles on the roof of the Bombchu Bowling Alley, it all filled Link with ambition.

"Everyone get comfy! Link and I have some plans to talk to the princess!" Tatl shouted to the others. Link grew flustered at how much she revealed even though he wanted it to stay private.

"Good luck, Grasshopper." Romani gave Link a quick peck on the cheek, the first one he had received from her.

"Well, I don't know what you're plannin', but you know you can count me in when stuff goes down!" Jim patted Link on the shoulder and wore a hefty grin. Skull Kid, who was helping out Anju and Kafei, smiled and waved him goodbye as he set off for Hyrule Castle.

"So, are you feeling better, Link?" Tatl asked, sitting atop of Link's green hat.

"I... I think so." Link said quietly. He did feel for the most part better, but something was still bothering him. Something he couldn't explain. It was just a feeling looming over him.

Tatl raised an eyebrow, but Link didn't notice. She'd known him for too long to know when he was lying. He was never taught how to lie, so he was far from the best at it.

The boy kept silent for the entire walk to the castle. The distant chirps of birds and buzzing of various insects filled the air. It was getting closer and closer to full-on spring, and Link knew what it meant. His special day.

The duo of guards gave Link knowing nods as he approached the castle drawbridge. They waved to the ones atop the turrets and the bridge lowered for him. Giving the soldiers a smile, the hero walked inside.

The search for Zelda was decently short, since she was waiting for him just down a few of the castle corridors.

"Ah, hello Link!" Zelda rushed over to the hero and gave him a gentle wave.

"Zelda." Link addressed the princess and bowed to her. When he met her gaze again, they smiled. Something felt a little different between him and the princess now. He felt a bit more comfortable around her.

"I trust you had a nice break?" Zelda initiated small talk as she started to stroll down the hall.

"I did." Link hesitated for a moment, but he realized he did have an interesting break. Not the nicest, but it was interesting. Rough, but he learned. "So, anything of note while I was away?"

"Well, that's the thing I wanted to discuss. Ever since the spider attack, nothing has happened. Guards have nothing to report." Zelda herself was astonished at the news, and so was Link.

"Really?" Link and Tatl said at the same time. They got a nod from the princess, and the boy put his hand to his chin. Tatl decided to finish his thought for him. "Well, good!"

Zelda giggled at how the duo seemed relieved at what they were being told. "Everything calmed down after the work to rebuild Castle Town went underway. Our only guess is that whatever it was you fought was the last of them."

Link hoped that was the case. He yearned for this all to be over so he could return to Termina for good. While the new adventure was a breath of fresh air, he did want to put down the sword and shield for now. However, something in the back of his mind told him that it all wasn't over.

"I see." Link thought about how he'd word what he wanted to tell Zelda. "I think me and my family will stay in Hyrule for the next week, just to make sure nothing else comes up."