Off The Deep End

Yeah, I did that. I killed Skull Kid. I actually foreshadowed it quite a lot throughout the story. Anyways, this chapter is probably my favorite of all time. I think it's the most important to the story and the evolution of Link's character. Enjoy.
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 19: Off The Deep End

The grotto was dark and musty, as usual. Three Lizalfos were gathered around a small fire, made from the remains of a chest that once held twenty rupees. The smoke filtered out of the hole in the ceiling. None of them knew it was giving away their location.

They gave each other light squawks, conversing about things unknown. None of them noticed a figure descend from the grotto entrance, clad in a green tunic. They landed on the ground softly, taking care to not draw attention to themselves yet. The person slowly inched their way towards the group, eyes filled with malice.

Suddenly, an arrow was shot, and plunged right into the back of the center Lizalfos's skull, killing it instantly. It collapsed onto the fire, and it slowly began to burn. The other two lizards looked around in surprise, shocked from the sudden death of their colleague. The leftmost lizard screeched as soon as it spotted the person across from them, and the one to the right turned their gaze.

Link, lowering his bow, stared the two Lizalfos down. He unsheathed his sword and took an aggressive stance, scowling. The lizards perceived his gesture as a challenge, and they drew their short swords.

Wasting no time, Link charged, swiping the Gilded Sword with all his strength. The attack caused his opponent to stumble, and he brought his sword down on it again and again. The other Lizalfos attempted to attack, but was kicked in the gut by Link, paying the creature no mind.

The Lizalfos winced in pain and watched as the disgraced hero brutally swung his sword, making the other lizard stagger backwards, unable to keep up with his might. Bringing his shield forth, he bashed it right into the Lizalfos's chest and then kicked it in the shin.

The one that had been kicked in the stomach could only stare in horror as Link stopped fighting its cohort and threw his sword into the air. Using his free hands, his fists connected with the lizards' face twice and gave it a headbutt just to keep it from retaliating, before the sword landed back into his palm. Then, he sliced the beasts' neck open.

The Lizalfos crumpled to the ground, but Link wasn't satisfied. Emitting a guttural yell, he pierced the creature's armor. The Gilded Sword, now covered in blood, emerged from the back of the Lizalfos and went straight into the rock behind it. The lizard sputtered, a gargled squeak being the last sound it ever made. It made its final thoughts, silently begging for forgiveness, before perishing.

Link huffed, pulling the sword from the lizard's chest and staring down at its lifeless corpse.

The Lizalfos across from Link made the mistake of uttering a small squawk. Link swung his head around and eyed down the creature.

"You're next." Link said, pointing the stained sword at the creature across from him. Hate laced every word that came out of his mouth.

The Lizalfos made a break for the exit, not wanting to meet the same fate as its comrades. It ran as fast as it could, and Link gave chase.

Jumping from the entrance, the Lizalfos looked around frantically before spotting the wall that connected to the drawbridge to the left. Rounding the trees and hopping across the river, it tried to escape to Castle Town.

Link wasn't far behind. His adrenaline was in full effect now, and it assisted him in his pursuit of the lizard. Energy flowed through his veins, but it was in no way righteous.

The entire time, Link was feeling something unimaginable. He wanted to take his anger at himself out of whatever he could. But he didn't want to just dispatch the creatures like he and his friends had been before. He wanted to make them hurt, just like how his demented mirror image made him hurt.