Wash The Spider Out

Link won't be getting much of a break, unfortunately. Enjoy!
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 13: Wash The Spider Out

Link couldn't believe he had to unsheathe his sword again, so soon after the last time. His adrenaline rushed through his veins as he ran down the street to check on the turret guards. Before he could get out the gate, the chains rattled, and the drawbridge slowly began to rise.

"Hey, wait!" Link shouted, but he got no answer.

He heard groans coming from the turret, so he climbed the ladder to see what on earth happened. He looked down in horror to see two guards ensnared on the wall by webbing. Steam and a slight hissing sound came from the webs that made contact with their armor, seemingly burning it away.

Taking the hookshot out and rappelling down the wall, Link clung on firmly as he swiped his sword carefully, releasing the men. He caught both before they fell to the ground and heaved them back onto the turret.

"Are you two alright?" Link asked as he inspected the pair. He only received two weak nods and he guided the wounded into the Guard House to hide.

When Link came back outside and went back to the turret, the creature that attacked finally made it just a few dozen meters from the drawbridge. The boy jumped down and rolled out onto the ground to confront the beast.

It rose its two front legs high into the air, casting a lanky shadow due to the setting sun. Link backed away from where the shadow rested, even though he knew it couldn't hurt him. Looking at the monster, its complexion was hideously familiar. That thing the demon showed him just the night before. It rose from the sea of blood and was responsible for the change in his hair. He took a deep breath and did his best to stay calm.

Link and the beast remained still for a second. The monster stood on only four legs, raising its body upwards. Emitting a roar, it seemed like it was challenging the Defender of Faith. Link didn't do anything, frozen in fear because of what the beast was.

The spider charged, the mass of spawn surrounding its legs overtaking it, being the first to get to the boy. Link attempted to slash them with his sword, but he was quickly overwhelmed. The little arachnids swarmed him and brought him to the ground, jabbing his tunic with their little arms as the big one ran right past him.

A loud crash was heard, and wood splintered everywhere. It smashed through the drawbridge! Grabbing the hookshot again, Link punched through the layer of spiders covering him and shot it blindly. When nothing happened, he adjusted his aim and fired again, this time hitting something. His body was dragged upwards and away from the army, and he got to safety atop the remains of the gate.

Link looked at where the big one was and saw the last of its legs disappear from view, heading deeper into the heart of Castle Town. The little ones started scaling the wall, but the boy got away in time, running as fast as he could into town.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sir, please, you need to get to safety!" Jim begged, Romani joining after she pointed to where someone else should hide.

"Leave me be, you deranged hoodlums!" The old man barked, trying to ignore what he thought was just some annoying teenagers.

"This is serious!" Romani shouted, her voice going up in pitch by accident. The man just scoffed and paid her no mind.

Romani considered just forcing the man into the closest shop to hide, but they all heard a bloodcurdling scream. It was followed by many more just seconds later, and even the old fellow turned to see what all the yelling was about. All their eyes filled with terror as they witnessed an enormous spider emerge from the gate street and into the market.