It Longs to Kill You

Link and Dark Link's first rematch! I won't keep you. Enjoy!
-Jooostan

A Terminian and the Twilight of Danger
Chapter 23: It Longs to Kill You

Link didn't take his eyes off of his double. He scowled and brandished his sword, prompting Dark Link to do the same.

"Glad you could make it, Link." Dark Link said, smirking. He too held out his weapon, although it was considerably larger than his opponents. The Giant's Knife was not a blade to be meddled with.

"You!" Link the Goron shouted, pointing towards Dark Link. "What have you done to my friends?!"

Dark Link swiftly ignored the Goron's plea, starting to walk forward. The hero in green followed suit, keeping his distance, eyes still glued on his adversary. When they got an acceptable distance from each other, they started pacing around together in a circle. Only a length of about twenty feet separated them, but the heated tension from their silence alone kept the others on edge.

Link glared at the shadowy image of himself. Oh how long had he waited for this moment. The perfect time to get his revenge, compliments of Skull Kid himself. Every fiber of his being wanted to make Dark Link suffer. And a sick, twisted part of himself wanted to relish it.

Romani grew more and more worried for her boyfriend. She'd never, ever seen him so consumed by a single desire. It made him look alien, even more so than those infernal ghosts that used to haunt her family's ranch. She no longer wanted to fight. She just yearned to steal Link away from all the violence and give him the love he needed in order to forget about vengeance.

For Jim, a small part of his heart wanted to join Link in fighting the shadow. His own gaze went uncharacteristically cold as he eyed Dark Link down. He thought about that little dent in the cheek Skull Kid gave the darkness. The imp had left his mark before he was struck down.

"I love that new look in your eye." Dark Link said, bearing his slightly discolored teeth. He examined the glare he got from his lighter side and was almost brought to laughter.

"You... want to kill me." Dark Link spoke in a smooth, calm voice. "Yeah, I can see it. I know what's on your mind."

"Makade... I'm going to suppress my overwhelming urge to kill you and let you speak for a little longer." Link snapped, his grip on the hilt of the Gilded Sword tightening.

"Makade?" Dark Link's lips creased downward into a puzzled expression. "What an interesting name. I can tell you made it up yourself."

Link, true to his word, refrained from lashing out on his mirror image. He simply gritted his teeth and kept quiet. However, it was ill-concealed. Koume and Kotake could tell that the hero was struggling to not take a swipe at their pawn. It filled them with glee knowing they could get so under his skin.

"I'm aware that you've been busy, lately." Dark Link started, taking an idle breath and nonchalantly looking at his own hand. "When you weren't wallowing in your own sadness, you were... hunting. Correct?"

A chill raced down Link's spine. It mystified him of how Dark Link knew about that, but he brushed off the confusion.

"Yes. You were out there... taking your anger out on anything that moved. It hurt to know that our little puppets met such a gruesome fate." Dark Link looked at the sky, thinking about how many monsters Link had killed just to quench his rage.

"Better than the fate you granted my friend." Link countered. "You cut him down and left me to watch as he died. You are... a heartless killer."

"And you aren't?" The teen of the dark smirked. In response, Link stepped back, startled. "You see... That's the amazing part. You and I... are both killers. You used to end lives just to protect the world. Now you end them only to satisfy your lust to end mine. It's truly... petty."