Chapter 7: Siege

"JACKSON."

Everyone looked at him expectantly, awaiting his response.

"Focus, this is a vital thing we are discussing, we must not indulge in pleasures," he finally spoke, looking away from Elizabeth and to the map, sliding his finger for a location.

"How much was she? Ten dollars? Looks like she cost an amount."

"I doubt it, she must have been one of Faustino's second hands," another snorted.

"Luke," Jackson's voice towered over everyone, impatient and in command. "See to it that Elizabeth is taken back to her room."

"Of course," Luke inclined his head, walking to Elizabeth and gripping her hand into his, pulling her out of the room.

"Now, if you are all done, may I proceed?" Ire coated Jackson's words.

"Learn to luxuriate, Anderson, I swear I can already see you greying," a stout old man laughed.

"All this talking is starting to get over my head, can we eat?" Was the last thing Elizabeth heard once she was out of their earshot.

"I'm not some charity whore, could you not tell them that?" Elizabeth looked up at him as he pushed her into one of the kitchens.

"That's out of my jurisdiction," he stated plainly, looking over her shoulder. Elizabeth turned and noticed Vaughn leaning against a wall as she watched them.

"Then couldn't your brother? He just stood there and let those men harass me," she complained.

"Harass is not quite the word, Elizabeth," he sighed, already exhausted from having that conversation with her. "Those men in there are the same men that will—"

"Save your country, I know."

She had heard that statement more than she liked to. Every white man was destined to save the country as it seemed.

"Her and Jackson are great for each other," Vaughn chuckled. "Quite perverse."

"Per-verse?" Elizabeth slurred the word. She had never heard of it.

Luke exhaled deeply, lifting his hands in the air. "I have no idea why I even bother," he walked out, clearly having had enough.

Elizabeth managed to only stay inside for twenty minutes before deciding to walk out. However, before she could, another door opened and echoed across the halls, chatters and mutters of men bouncing around the walls.

Elizabeth opened the door slightly, peering through to the sight of the guests walking out of the parlor. They laughed and talked between themselves with wine glasses in hand.

Jackson appeared by the corner last, accompanied by three other men. His hands were empty, unlike everyone else. His face remained stern as he listened to whatever Blonde Giant had to say.

Whilst everyone was talking and laughing with each other, she took it as an opportunity to slide out and take it for her room.

It was all successful until Jackson caught sight of her, excusing himself from the others. She turned behind and noticed his eyes on her, walking past everyone for her. He stood out like a sore thumb.

She cursed under her breath and quickened her pace, walking further down the hall in escape.

Just when Elizabeth was sure she had lost him, she leaned against a corner of the wall, looking behind at where she had last seen him, her chest heaving up and down.

A strong grip caught hold of her forearm, the other for her mouth before she could let out a scream.

With the familiar timber and raspberry scent in the air, Elizabeth composed herself.