Chapter 8: Divulge

ELIZABETH inhaled deeply and turned her head away from the window, staring ahead in surprise as to what Jackson had admitted to his soldier.

She had never expected him to reveal that to anyone else. The only people who were aware of their matrimonial were his brother, father and Mr. Laurens.

She pressed the beds linen closer to her body, feeling a weird sensation of joy inside of her.

"Wife?" Roman stared at Jackson in surprise. He had heard many frivolous stories in his life but coming across a General in the army married to a slave girl? That was odd and new. He had to contain himself from laughing.

Jackson sighed and rubbed his temples. "Yes, we were forced to marry due to... complications", he looked ahead of Roman and at the trees thoughtfully.

"Oh that makes better sense... you two seem to get along a lot", he smiled with sarcasm. Jackson rolled his eyes at him with a scoff.

"You don't say".

"And not that I question your actions General but if you two were forced to be wed, why would you save her? Most husbands would let their wives die a slave if in your shoes".

"That... that is a question I have no response to. I have no idea either", he murmured rubbing his chin. "It is my duty, I suppose".

Roman did not buy it. He moved closer to the man's ear, whispering to him alone the words that raised Jackson's eyebrows and widened his eyes. The question had caught him off guard and he had no response to it. Elizabeth could not hear

"Do you love her?"

Jackson took a step back, looking up at Roman with a horrified face. "No... I... I must not".

"You must not or you do not?" He raised a brow curiously.

His Adam's apple slowly raised and fell as he gulped. "Both", he squinted his eyes at him with a stern gaze and intent concentrated voice, deep and low.

Roman cleared his throat, realizing that perhaps he had stepped his boundaries in being just a right hand man. "General Anderson", he lowered his body, dropping his head in sincerity. "I apologize for my manners".

Jackson sighed with awkwardness at the action, assuring him it was all alright and he was just curious. As his right hand man, he had to know maybe a few parts of his life.

Roman lifted, towering against everything around him once more. Jackson still looked ahead at the trees thoughtfully, his hands put behind his back.

Roman noticed this. "Is there a problem, sir?"

"Yes..." he admitted with a sigh. "Elizabeth she—she has much bruises on her body. I am not aware as from where".

Elizabeth heard this and peeked her head up to look at Jackson once more and listen in. Her heart raced within her chest so loudly she feared of being seen due to it. Jackson's face was hard to read, he seemed both confused and irritated. Eventually, his brows raised as if he had found a solution to stopping the wars of the world.

The young man looked at Roman and moved his index and middle finger of the right, asking for him to come closer, to which he did, lowering his head to his mouth.

Elizabeth watched him whisper nothings to him, only his mouth moving. His face was numb and eyes were dark whilst Roman held a much different expression. Whatever he was being commanded to do made him gulp hard and tighten his lips.

After a while, he pulled back.

"Understood?"

"Yes, sir", he nodded his head. Jackson stepped aside, showing for the large man to leave, to which he did.