07 - trial by fire (unedited)

I take back what I said last night. The day hasn't ended and I already wanted to go home. Nero was the worst boss anyone worker hated. He was impossible. My task was simple and he find every way to make it impossible. My task was to sweep the lawn as there are fallen leaves everywhere. I did what I was told and I finished it quicker than expected. When I reported it to him, he went with me to check it and told me I also have to sweep the soil. I don't know if he was messing with me because I cannot sweep the soil as the lawn's ground was dirt and soil comes from the dirt.

My next task was to pile the leaves and burn them to kill the insects trying to feast and gather around the trees. That too was pretty easy for me and when I showed Nero my work, he said that it was too much smoke and told me to do it again as he don't want the place to be filled with smoke as it was triggering his asthma. Isn't the whole point of burning the leaves for the smoke to serve as pest control?

This was one thing that made me in a bad mood today. the main this is I wasn't even assigned the farm. I'm doing this work at the land around the house we were staying in. Trees surround everything and there are two roads, with one leading to the main road and the other leading to the farm. Then the rest of the place is a forest.

This is the worst part of this if I try to escape, I might get lost in the forest and eaten by wild animals. Now I regretted not leaving with Naddie. At this moment, I wished I just chose the embarrassment I'll face in going to school and being in a remedial class than here. I'll do anything to be anywhere than here.

"Shang!" I immediately smile as I heard that unfamiliar voice I haven't seen for the longest time.

"Daddylo!" I ran up to the old man and gave him a hug.

"I missed you so much. Why didn't you pay me a visit?" I pouted.

"The farm is always so busy, hija. I didn't find time to go to the city. I'm glad you chose to volunteer to work here." He was smiling as he said that. I didn't want to tell him that this was my last option as I don't want to break his heart.

"How are you doing so far? You look so worn out."

"You have no idea Daddylo. My boss is picking on me!" I complained.

"Nero? What did that boy do to you."

"He kept on bullying me even if I did a great job with my work!"

"This kid is very pasaway! Nero!" Hearing daddylo call out his name like that made me grin. An evil grin.

"Yes, Pa?" Nero got out of the house as soon as he heard his name being called.

"Ma just ordered me to buy something in town. Do you need anything?" He was quick to change the subject. I was ready to hear Daddylo give him an earful!

"If that's the case, take Reverie with you," Daddylo suggested which made me shocked and the look on Nero's face looks like he was okay with it. What's his deal, really?

"You wanna come?" He said as he turn to me. I haven't seen the town and I've heard interesting stories about Beaumont Province's town. I heard they make very pretty souvenirs.

"Sure." I simply answered.

I was ready to follow him when Daddylo stopped me. He grabbed my wrist and put something on my palm. When he removed his hand. that's when I saw the one thousand peso bill he gave me. I smiled widely and gave him a hug again as I thank him.

.
.

The trip to town was a 30-minute car ride. We were riding what seems like an old pickup truck. I swear I got scared multiple times as I thought it was going to break down anytime soon. It was that old. When we arrived at the town, there weren't many people walking around but as we get to the market, it was crowded with people. I watched the citizens push each other out of the way as they tried to dive inside the crowd or try to get out. I watched in horror as Nero pulled up.