☺️ Lantern Rite I (Lumine x Xiao)

[Hi hi! Enjoy the chapter! ❤️]

~#~

Today marked a little over 5 years since Lumine began her search for her brother. She always spent the lantern rite with everyone but this year she was particularly anti-social.

The only person she was really looking forward to seeing was Xiao... maybe a couple others... but Xiao didn't show up to any arrangements or celebrations and her heart grew more painful by the second.

It was like going through the whole day in a daze. Maybe it was because she was thinking so heavily about all the things Aether had missed with her. Maybe it was feeling homesick. Maybe she was just fed up with seeing Aether but only getting cold looks and responses or no response at all.

When it came time to release the lanterns Lumine snuck away and went to the small couple boats. Paimon tried to follow but Lumine only snapped at her, telling her to leave her alone for a few hours and give her time.

She rowed to the far middle of the harbor, far from prying eyes. Far from Paimon. Far from anyone. Alone.

She looked at the lantern beside her, lighting it carefully as she watched the hot air fill the interior of the lantern. "I don't think my wishes come true in Teyvat." She said softly to the lantern as if it would speak back.

She closed her eyes and thought back to her and her brothers adventures together. The people they use to meet. The activities they use to share in with thousands of different cultures. Their parents. Their childhood.

Tears swelled in the corners of her eyes as she lifted her head and released the lantern into the sky. Sitting back down on the boat as it rocked softly in the water.

Suddenly, she couldn't hold it anymore. Years worth of grief and sadness overwhelmed her, cries and screams muffled by the barriers of her hands as her heart ached with every beat.

"Lumine..." Xiao's voice rang out cutting through the cold ocean air that had settled around her as his hand gently grabbed her shoulder and turned her towards him.

Lumine jumped before turning to him, as soon as she blinked the tears away and saw Xiao, she practically jumped into his arms and embraced him in a tight hug. "Xiao!" She cried out as Xiao's arm reluctantly went around her as she continued to cry.

"What's wrong, Lumine? Why are you alone?" He asked in a concerned tone.

"I... I didn't think you would come... and I didn't wanna bother you... I don't wanna bother anyone... I just..." She cried into Xiao's chest as he sat down and brushed a hand through her hair. "I miss Aether so bad... It's been over 5 years since I started searching... and every time I get a little closer to him but he is still just... as cold as the first time I saw him after I woke up..."

Xiao sighed softly and rubbed Lumine's back gently trying to calm her down. "You don't bother me when you call for me, Lumine. I will come to you no matter where you are." He said leaning his head back to look up at the lanterns. "And... this is the first time I've ever heard your deep sorrows over your brother... but... if I could I would bring him back here for you... so you didn't have to cry anymore..."

Lumine's cries slowly subsided as the lanterns disappeared high in the air behind clouds. She looked up at him, slightly confused now as she sat up. Xiao wiping her tears with his palms as he stared at her with a deep concern in his eyes. "You can't keep things like that in for so long, Lumine... It's like carrying my Karma around with you... It's not good for you..."

"Xiao..." Lumine took his hands in hers as she stared into his eyes. "I didn't call you name... How did you..."

Xiao looked off for a moment before taking a deep breath. "Since the moment Barbatos' statue opened to you and granted you one of the powers of the Seven, Lumine... I've..." He paused for a moment, sitting back slightly only for Lumine to get closer, still holding his hands.

"You've...?" She questioned, eager for him to continue.

"I... I have had this... connection with you. A deep... unbreakable... and longing connection. When I'm around you... Lumine... I..." He looked back at her. "I don't feel my Karma is nearly as bad. You're like a purity. My own pers- wait..." Xiao blushed as he realized what he had said. "I... that's not... I don't mean you're mine I... I just mean..."

Lumine smiled. "You mean it feels like your connection to me... is like a lantern in your darkness... a light out of your karma?" She said tilting her head softly.

Xiao became speechless. Nodding softly as he pulled his hands away from her and placed his palms on either side of her face. "I am... terrified. Terrified that you, m... my light... might fade out... If I... somehow fail to protect you... to find you when you're hurt or sad... or when you call my name even if it doesn't feel urgent... I make it urgent. For you."

Lumine smiled, resting her hand on his as she leaned into it. "I'm sorry if I worried you crying..."

"I'm sorry I didn't make time for the festival... I didn't realize you would attend again this year... I thought four... well five years would become rather stagnant and in amusing..." Xiao said as he pulled her closer slowly.

"You make everything more interesting... even the saddest or scariest moments..." Lumine said as inches separated her and Xiao's lips.

"Lumine..." Xiao said softly as he stared deeply into her eyes. "Would it be okay with you... if we..."

"Kissed? Absolutely." Lumine said softly with a bright smile. Xiao smiled ever so softly as he pressed his lips into her gently but passionately. Fireworks lighting the sky above them as if to physically represent their shared happiness in the moment.

[Words written:
1,024]