𝖋𝐢𝐯𝐞

"—and when will you be able to start?" The woman asked, lowering the glasses she had on

"As soon as possible honestly," I replied eagerly.

Yesterday I basically spent all day putting in applications and searching for jobs that were hiring. This morning I'd already Received a call from the grocery store about 15 minutes from my apartment.

Like I stated before, I wasn't really in the position to be picky, a job is a job—and one thing about me, I keep a job.

"How does next week sound?" She asked, smiling politely.

"That works," I nodded.

"—I was actually hoping to get started as soon as Tomorrow, but I understand things probably still need to be solidified," I added.

"Oh we're closed this weekend hun'," she explained.

"Wait I'm sorry—I didn't realize we close on weekends," I said truthfully.

"We don't," she nodded, confusing me, "just this one."

"Oh...okay." I nodded, confused still as to why, but too scared to ask any more questions.

After we said our goodbyes, I shook my new manager's hand and exited the store.

As I made my way home I walked past my old job, causing guilt to bubble inside of me.

The now vacant convenience store stood as a reminder of what this city does to people, good people

A candlelight vigil had been sat out by a couple of neighbors last night for both Mr.Ron and his grandson.

Guess that goes to show that the whole murder-suicide thing they were trying to push wasn't going over smoothly, people knew that wasn't the truth.

As my eyes swelled with tears I crouched down and placed the two candles I'd bought from the store on the ground.

"thank you again, so much," I mumbled as I lit both flames.

Though I didn't know him very long, Mr.Ron still took a chance on me—and he didn't deserve what happened to him.

After a couple more minutes of paying my respects, I went ahead and headed home, knowing it was best I wasn't still walking when the sun went down.

Only gonna make that mistake ONCE.

Just as I made it to my complex, I ignored the eerie feeling the sunset gave me and continued up the stairs to my apartment.

And that's when I saw it, that's when I saw my door hanging off the hinges.

My mouth dropped at the sight, and immediately I scuffled through the rubble and rushed into my apartment.

It was trashed, I mean completely ripped apart. My first instinct was to check for what I cared about most. So immediately I rushed into my bedroom before lifting the mattress, praying that at the least, my important documents were still intact.