𝖘𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

"hey, quick question," a voice behind me spoke, " do you know what aisle the cereal is on?"

I turned around swiftly and nodded, " yeah it's gonna be on the next aisle over." I replied politely.

"thanks," she replied, before carrying on her way.

I smiled, then turned back around to continue stocking with a sigh.

Nothing like starting my job on the Monday following the most terrifying weekend of my life. The fact I was expected to  stock these shelves like I didn't just have my life threatened for two days straight would sound crazy to anyone not living in this city,

I mean granted, besides Saturday I wasn't directly attacked, and oddly enough Red was right, the guys that had tried to rob me didn't return Sunday.

I was surprised about that actually, you'd think on a night like that they'd try to return and finish the job. However they didn't, so clearly Reds confidence wasn't misplaced.

I'd also taken his advice and went ahead and boarded up my windows. Honestly, it was clear the guy had no intentions of killing me, I mean he's had more than enough opportunities. Granted, he could change his mind at any moment and blow my head off, but like, what was I gonna do about it anyway?

Police didn't care, My family didn't care, and the only one Khalil had to rely on was Khalil.

If this murderous man decided he would help me out for whatever reason, who the hell am I to deny it, it was better than having him kill me.

As far as this job goes, it's been fine so far, for the couple of hours I've been here at least, and on the other bright side, I got a discount on groceries which I desperately needed. The sandwich meat in my fridge was expired, and the loaf of bread was definitely molding up.

Today after my shift I'd just take home a couple of small things to keep me fed before I get paid next week, that's when I'll make the real groceries.

While I continued my internal debate I finished up the stocking and then carried on with my next task for the day. Honestly, Time went by pretty quickly, maybe it was the fact I didn't have to talk to anyone for the most part, it was just individual tasks which I appreciated.