Chapter One

My breath was hard and fast, I was exhausted. All day I have been moving into my new apartment, alone I may add. This was my final year of college, after what happened in my last school, I wanted a fresh start and to be able to focus on my schoolwork for once. I had a week till classes started, most of the apartment was ready, just little things I needed to sort out but not right now. Right now, I am lying in bed. Do I go out or sleep? My body was telling me to sleep, everything hurt, why did I buy an apartment on the fifth floor. But I did want to go out, I was in New York for goodness' sake, I didn't know anyone if I was going to survive the year, I at least needed someone to lean on, just one friend at least.

My body entered the shower; the hot water was soothing all my aches. After washing my hair and my body, I turned off the shower as the cold hit my body, looking at myself in the mirror. Yep, look like shit, same as usual. I grabbed the hair dryer and started to try and get my hair into a somewhat acceptable style. After about 30 minutes, my hair was done, mainly just dried and straightened, light makeup was on my face, and I was wearing a quite small black dress which just hung in the right places. I slipped into some heels and grabbed my bag before leaving my apartment and out into the cold night.

Once I was finally in the club, I went to the bar ordering a vodka and coke, while waiting I looked over the whole club, no one was really jumping out at me or even looked approachable. I just take my drink after paying and start making my way around the club. Somehow, I ended up on the dance floor and started to let loose a bit, but with no luck there was still no one who I would probably get on with here. I made my way towards the door, just wanting to be in bed right now. Stepping into the night I realised how cold it was, lucky my apartment was only 2 blocks away.

On my way I passed several different bars and clubs, which I will be trying in the week, they might seem to be more my type. I was a few buildings away from my apartment complex when I couldn't stop staring at this store, or bar? I wasn't too sure that it was, it looked like a book shop, but I could see people reading and loads of books covering at least 2 walls. My curiosity spiked and I walked in, I went to the bar and this warm elder person started talking to me.

"Hey, welcome to Page's, my name is Maria, is it your first time here?" She smiled at me wildly, I already felt so much better being here than I did at the club, I just nodded my head while looking at her.

"So, this is just a normal bar or coffee shop in the day, and you're free to help yourself to any books, you can take them with you if you want. All the books are donations, so you don't have to pay anything for them, no membership or tracking, you may keep the books or return them, no pressure to do anything. If you need anything just come and talk to me or anyone else here, most people here are nice." Maria finally finished telling me about this place, I was already in love.

"Sorry I forgot my name is Lucy, it's nice to meet you, Maria." I quickly remembered I never introduced myself to her. I reached my hand out to hers, she took it and quickly shook my hand.

"Nice to meet you too Lucy, so what can I get you?" She points upwards to a massive list of drinks, I wasn't sure if I wanted more alcohol right now, I wanted to curl up on the couch in the corner and start reading, with that warm fuzzy feeling.

"Umm, could I have a green tea please?" I asked Maria, I opened my bag to grab my money to pay her for the tea.

"On the house babe, don't worry about it. Now find yourself a book and enjoy." She replies after passing me my green tea, I take a quick slip, omg it even my favourite brand, I'm going to love this place.

"Thank you" I turned around and started looking at all the books. I wasn't a massive reader, but I still enjoyed it. They had all sorts here and they didn't organise their books. I reached up and pulled one from the shelf, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I have not read these books since I was a kid. I walked over to the couch with my tea on the table beside me. I curled up into a ball in the corner and started reading.