Chapter 4

As Alazne waited in the shadows of the hangar, she couldn't help but feel worried. It had been three years since the Clone Wars had started and she worried every time that Anakin went on a mission. This time, however, she had more reason to be worried. She'd heard a rumour that Anakin had been either captured or killed. She hoped that they were wrong because she had recently received some important news that she wanted to share with him. As she watched all the ships coming in, she eventually saw Anakin step off one. She smiled, feeling relieved that he was alright. As Anakin was talking to the senators with R2-D2 and C-3PO, he saw Alazne out of the corner of his eye, keeping to the shadows. Wanting to hold her in his arms after spending so much time apart, he politely excused himself from the conversation and started to walk towards her. When he was sure that no one was looking, he ran the rest of the way to her and pulled her into a hug. "I missed you," he said as he held Alazne close. It was only then did he realise that she was shaking. "Alazne, what's wrong?" Anakin asked her, starting to worry about his wife. "The most wonderful thing has happened," Alazne said with a smile. Anakin waited for her to tell him what she meant; his curiosity being peaked by her statement. "I'm pregnant," she told him. "That's wonderful," Anakin replied, picking her up and spinning her around causing Alazne to laugh. Eventually, Anakin had to leave to give the council his report on the mission, but he promised that he would see her later. A few hours later, Anakin walked into the apartment that he and Alazne shared. When he walked in, he noticed that Alazne was standing out on the balcony brushing her hair whilst she looked at the stars. He smiled and stood in the doorway as he watched Alazne.

"You're so beautiful," Anakin said, wondering how he had gotten so lucky to have met Alazne all those years ago. "It's only because I'm so in love. I'm so glad to have met you that day on Lullacaath, Ani," Alazne replied with a smile of her own as she walked over to Anakin and wrapped her arms around him. "No, it's me who's lucky. I have a wonderful, caring, beautiful wife and a child on the way. Thank you for making me so happy love," Anakin replied, pulling Alazne close to him. "I want to raise the baby away from the war and politics. I want to raise them on Lullacaath. There's a perfect room for a nursery that overlooks the gardens," she said, with a wistful look in her eyes. Later that night, Anakin woke up with a start. He'd had another nightmare about Alazne dying in childbirth. Knowing that he probably wouldn't be able to go back to sleep anytime soon, he got up and went to the living room to not disturb Alazne. A few minutes later, Alazne woke up and noticed that Anakin wasn't in bed, so she went to try and find him. When she found him in the living room, she could tell that something was bothering him. So, she went and sat at the side of him and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Ani, what's wrong?" she asked, worried. "Do you remember before my mother died? How I had nightmares about her dying?" he asked. "Yes, I remember. Why do you ask?" she asked, curiously. "Because I had another one. Only this time it was about you. You died in childbirth," Anakin replied, worry and sadness lacing his voice. "And the baby?" Alazne asked, placing a hand on her stomach. "I don't know. But I can't lose you, Alazne. I don't know what I'd do without you," Anakin said, pulling alone into a hug. The next day, Obi-Wan visited Alazne and seemed worried. "What's the problem, old friend?" Alazne asked as soon as she saw him.

"I'm worried about Anakin. He seems to have his head in the clouds a lot lately. And he doesn't seem to be getting a lot of sleep either. Whenever I ask him about it, he says it's nothing, but I can sense something is bothering him. I was wondering if he'd spoken to you about what may be bothering him?" Obi-Wan asked. "He's not mentioned anything to me that I can think of. Maybe he's worried about the war," Alazne suggested, not mentioning what Anakin had told her about his nightmares. After Obi-Wan left, Anakin came home not long after. As they stood on the balcony and looked out over Coruscant, they started to talk about the republic and the war. Alazne suggested that maybe Anakin could talk to Palpatine and ask him if he could stop the war. Anakin walked back inside, and he said, "Please don't ask me to do that." Sensing his unease, she followed him inside. "Hold me. Hold me like you did when we were on Lullacaath. I wish this war was over. Every time you go on another mission, I worry that you won't come home. I want our child to know their father," Alazne said as Anakin held her close and placed his head on her shoulder. Over the next few months, every night, Anakin would continue to have nightmares. It worried him because each nightmare seemed to be getting worse. He pulled Alazne close and tried to go back to sleep. Then one day, Anakin went to talk to Palpatine about his nightmare. Palpatine told Anakin of Dark Plagueis the wise. When Anakin asked how someone could learn the ability on how to save someone from dying, Palpatine told him that he wouldn't be able to learn the ability from a Jedi. After his talk with Palpatine, Anakin went home and saw Alazne with a pile of clothes in her arms about to walk into their bedroom. "Obi-Wan's been here, hasn't he?" he asked as he followed her. "Yes. He's worried about you. As am I," she replied, putting the clothes down.

"I feel lost. I'm meant to be a Jedi yet Obi-Wan and the council don't trust me. And I want more. I know that I shouldn't, but I do. I just want to find a way to keep you safe," Anakin said, sounding defeated. "What's on your mind, Ani?" Alazne asked, cupping his face in her hands. "I'm scared. I'm scared that when the time comes, I won't be able to save you," Anakin said. "We can worry about that when the time comes. But for now, let's focus on us. Because right now, I'm safe and so is the baby," Alazne said with a smile. When Anakin visited Palpatine a few days later, he realised that he was the Sith that they had been looking for. "It's you, isn't it? You're the Sith that we've been looking for," he said, lightsabre in hand. "Yes, I am. But I'm also the one who can help you save your wife," Palpatine replied. Unsure of what to do, Anakin left and went to Master Windu about Palpatine being the Sith. Master Windu thanked him and said that he would deal with it. Anakin left him to it and went home. But whilst there, he had an uneasy feeling that something was wrong. So, he went back to Palpatine's office and saw Master Windu about to kill the senator. He tried to explain that whilst Palpatine was a Sith, he still deserved a fair trial. When Master Windu didn't listen to him, Anakin cut off his arm and watched him fall to his death. "What have I done?" he exclaimed as he fell to his knees. After a few moments, Palpatine finally spoke.

"Rise, Lord Vader. We have much work to do," he said, plotting his next move. Not long after, as Alazne was looking out of the window, she noticed that the Jedi Temple was on fire and started to cry. She was worried that something bad had happened to Anakin. Just then, she saw him fly towards the apartment. Once he was on solid ground, she ran out to him and hugged him. "What happened? When I saw the Temple on fire, I was worried that something bad had happened to you," she said, her face buried in Anakin's shoulder. "I'm alright love. But some of the Jedi tried to kill Senator Palpatine. I came to tell you that he wants me to go to Mustafar and that I wasn't sure how long ill be gone. And I wanted to come and see you before I left, "Anakin answered. Alazne nodded her head in understanding before kissing Anakin. As she watched Anakin fly away, she hoped that he would be careful and that he wouldn't be injured.