Chapter One

Thank you very much for trying this story out.

It'll be a great journey you probably won't like

Chapter One

There wasn't a cloud in the sky. The sun was bright, happy, too happy, and I wanted to drown it.

Today, was to be the worst day in my life. I've barely been awake three hours, and already, I have to mentally prepare myself for what lay ahead.

Today was the day we are to bury my sister. 

My parents said not a word as they climbed into the car. I got into the back seat, refusing to shed a tear until I knew I was alone.

The long pause captured the car until my father took a deep breath, and turned the engine on. My mother was already crying, as she shook her head and kept her gaze out the window as if hiding her tears from me. I don't understand why she thought I was some sort of child, as if I can't handle to see her cry for her own daughter. My sister is dead, shouldn't she cry about that? We all knew what she was doing; but we abjured to say a word.

The long line of cars followed ours. Our family members, and my sister's closest friends. I couldn't bare to even look back at them, I knew they were all crying as well.

Everyone loved my sister. I loved her too, but I don't feel as sad as them, I feel angry.

The car ride seemed hours. It was as if the universe purposely wanted us to slowly go mad in our own depression. My father once had to pull over as his tears corrupted his eyesight, though he blamed the car, and said one of the tires might be flat.

None of them were. We all knew none of them were.

As the ghastly wait was soon over, my father pulled up to what looked to be the most beautiful gate I had ever seen. We waited there until the gate doors suddenly opened by themselves. We drove in, only to be greeted by miles and miles of nothing but graves coated in beauty. Something was different about these graves though, they weren't just gorgeous, they were completely endorsed in physical wealth. 

As strange as it is to say that a grave can be gorgeous, they were definitely the utmost luxurious quality.

My father parked the car in front of some sort of large stone mansion. The cars that were following us did the same, and we all got out and stood in front of the mansion, until the doors opened wide.

My father walked in first, and then my mother, I followed closely behind, and so did everyone else. I felt completely shattered in here, as if all my emotions were suddenly clear to be seen. I didn't like it, nor did I care whether the interior of the mansion was beautiful or not.

"Greetings, my dear grievers." We were suddenly welcomed by a man who came out of a door that was in the center of the room.  I almost wanted to laugh as if he were some sort of joke. He wore a white mask that covered half his face; only revealing his mouth so he may speak. He had on a black shirt, the size of it seemed way to big to fit around his thin body. The bones of his shoulders stuck out through the cloth like they wanted to be seen. He was incredibly tall, and looked as if he were about to tend some sort of rich and fancy Halloween party. "Welcome to Parity Cemetery. You are here for your daughter, no?" He spoke in such a confidence way, and yet he looked as if he just crawled out of a horror movie.

"My daughter, Amanda Adler." My father spoke up, though he had to clear his throat many times to speak correctly. I wasn't sure if it was because he was crying, or because even he thought this man was playing some sort of joke on us.

The man's mouth formed into a large smile, "So you're the Adler Family. I must praise you well, your daughter is no less of a masterpiece. I'm honored to have her here in my most cherished mausoleum."

It happened rather quickly. One moment the man's attention was on my father, and the next; it was on me. His eyes felt as if they were piercing my skin like needles.  "You must be her sister, you two do share the same valuable features." He stated with the same smile on his face.

I stared at him. Me and my sister did look a lot alike, anyone could see that. 

Strangely, I didn't like him, I didn't like the way he spoke of my sister, and I didn't like his disgusting uniform. It seems almost like a mockery of the moment. "And you resemble the looks of clown." As I spoke, my mother nudged me with her shoulder, as if scolding me for my lack of manners. I knew they payed thousands just for my sister to be buried here, I wasn't sure why, but the last thing I wanted was us to be kicked out. So, I sighed, and kept my mouth shut.

The man spoke once more, "Let's all start this evening with a simple, one worded introduction. Everyone, please, do claim your names to me, I'd love to meet you all personally."

Everyone around the room didn't question him even once, they all, one-by-one, began to say their first names aloud. Eventually it was my turn to speak, "Avril." I said in a quiet tone, hoping that I wouldn't be forced by his command, to speak for the rest of the day.

"Avril." He repeated, almost as if the name itself satisfied him. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"You didn't introduce yourself to us." I replied not taking his hand as he stuck it out to shake.

He suddenly jerked his hand back and placed it on his chest as if he were about to faint, "You're right. I completely forgot my manners, how revolting." He walked back over to my father, and spoke aloud for everyone in the room to hear, "You all may refer to me as Mr. Parity. I own this cemetery and every crate of bones in it. I will be your guide, your spokesman throughout the display, and your reassurance that your treasured loved one will be conscientiously tended to for the whole burial. You are all my guests this day, and I do fancy the idea of your comfort to be of the highest here." He held his arm out as if courting my mother. She gladly intertwined her arm with his, I wanted to roll my eyes. She loved when all the attention was on her, and he was easily the type of man to give it to her. "Now, follow me," He spoke, "and we will begin the entombment."