Chapter Twenty Two

Just had a long chat with this girl at a music store. She whipped out her phone and showed me her twitter.

I do not have a twitter

But I pretended that I knew what she was doing.

Chapter Twenty Two

"You know," Maggie said, as she took a bite out of a sandwich. I watched her in awe on how she could eat, drive the car, and concentrate on talking at the same time. "In every book and movie out there, if a boy pretends to be dating you in front of other people, that means he wants to date you for real."

I laughed sarcastically, "Yeah, that's not true, Maggie."

"How do you know?"

"Because he's my boss!" I stated clearly, "He's just . . . creepy."

"Well, I think you should ditch him, ditch your work, your family, and come live with me. We could be a cute lesbian couple-" She paused for a moment, "A lesbian couple who likes men only."

I rolled my eyes. This was becoming a habit, the only time we ever hung out anymore, was when she drove me to the cemetery.  She acted like it didn't bother her, but I knew it did, only because I was the only person she ever was able to hang out with. 

Nobody else wanted to even look at her, let alone spend time with her.

And yet, being the horrible person that I am, I ditch her for a man in a costume.

The worst part, was that I seemed to replace guilt, with the sense of annoyance. I hated myself for being such a bad friend, which would turn my mood sour every moment I had a chance to be around Maggie, and of course she always assumed it was her that I was sour towards.

It's not like I haven't tried to ask Mr. Parity for more time off. It's like he's obsessed with the fact that he has complete power over me.

For reasons that I'm even starting to care less about.

He was needy. Always wanting attention, as it seemed.

"Come on." I begged, "I'm here nearly every day now. Why can't you let me take off?"

"And what would benefit me in the outcome?"

"You wouldn't have to deal with me for a whole day?"

"I already gave you last Sunday off."

"The deal was that you gave me the whole weekend off." I muttered, as I crossed my arms over my chest and sighed, "Okay, how about this, give me Saturdays off, and I'll stay even later on days that I do work."

He gave me an odd look, "You already tend to stay until midnight most the time, unless you want to live here, I don't think that's a good idea."

I gave a sarcastic shocked expression, "Wow, you're actually denying me hours? That's new."

"I have no problem with you living here, Miss Adler, but I fear it'll complicate your own schedule."

"Working on Saturdays complicates my schedule, what are you going to do about it?"

"Nothing."

"Come on."

"You've been doing fine working on Saturdays, and I personally couldn't care less about your affairs in which would revolve in the weekend, but it's necessary you get enough time away form here, or you'll be complaining in my presence all week."

Complaining in hid presence. That's how he put it.  Since that conversation, I didn't bother to ask him about anymore free time.

I did though, up complaining regimen to every time I saw him.

"We're here, Avril." Maggie said, as she snapped her mustard-covered fingers in front of my face. I hadn't realized I dazed out on her until she caught my attention back.

"Ohh-uhh, thanks, Maggie, for the ride."

"No problem."

And with that, I left the car, not saying another word, or allowing her too.  I walked in the Cemetery building, and was instantly greeted by Mr. Parity who was lying on the floor. Flat, on the floor.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, as he laid there, with his eyes shut.

"I made a mistake." He said in a more depressed tone than any.

"Really? And what mistake was that?"

"I seem to have fallen in love with a girl that will never be able to work here." He sounded as if he were to cry at any moment.

Knowing him, I knew he wouldn't.

I didn't mean to sound shocked, but I was, "You actually have the capability to fall in love with a girl?"

His eyes moved from the ceiling to me, "What do you mean? I love many women."

"I didn't think of you as the player type." But then again, it did match.

He sat up swiftly, ready to defend himself, "I am most certainly am not a player." 

I took a deep breath, and sat down on the floor with him. "Then tell me, who are these women you are so dearly in love with."

He looked completely baffled, as if he were offended by what I was saying, "I love all the women who work here. They are my darlings. I'm shocked you wouldn't know that, Miss Adler."

"I'm shocked you expect me to know."

He leaned back against the side leg of a table that stood near, crossing his arms over his chest, he stared at me. We locked eye-contact for a rather long, silent minute before he spoke up. "Do you not think I love you, Miss Adler?"

My heart began to race, as I realized just how important those words were. "Does it matter? You are my boss, not my lover."

"I don't see myself as a boss, but as a alpha to my family, in which I do love." He waved his arms around the room, "You all are my sweet family, and I love you more than the breath that keeps me alive."