Chapter Eight

I went to Florida for a week for the first time in my life and I realized really quickly that people down there are mean and unhappy and I think that's really sad.

//i'm sorry your lives are not happy lives

Chapter Eight

I stared at him as if he had grown a second head, though it wouldn't matter, he looked strange as he was. "I'm sorry, but you must be stupid if you think I'm going to agree to work with you here." 

His smile faded a bit, but by the look in his eyes, I knew he wasn't too surprised with my answer, "That's a shame. I could really use a girl like you."

"You have numerous girls working here. I don't see how I would do any good."

"Your lacking confidence."

"My lack of confidence is none of your concern."

"I suppose not." He connected his arm around mine, and lead me back to Maggie. She was waiting by her car, staring blankly at the ground. 

I quickly stopped making Mr Parity stop along side me. We were still rather far from her, so I was sure that she couldn't hear us.

"What exactly did you say to her?" I glanced up at him, hoping that he would take my nervousness and a push to answer.

He shrugged, by his body language, I could tell he really couldn't care less. "That would be a secret between me, and the girl."

Of course he wouldn't answer. I shot him a glare, before stomping away from him. I reached Maggie, and basically shouted for her to get in the car. She didn't hesitate.

"Your cemetery sucks." I childishly yelled at Mr Parity, he looked a bit taken back, but I didn't stay to study his face. I hopped into the car, and Maggie had it going before I even shut the door.

The drive back home was silent. Maggie said nothing, and of course my silence didn't help. I wanted to speak up, lack of social intelligence was really weighing my chances down. What was she even feeling? Was she sad, did I have to make her feel better? Was she angry, did I do something? I should be angry at her though! 

She pulled up into my driveway, and I slowly got out of the car, hoping that she'd say something, she didn't. Right as I shut the car door, she drove way, nearly running me over in the process. I didn't even know what to think. She has never acted this way before.

Ever.

I was greeted by my cat Mars, who ran over to me from a nearby bush. I picked him up, and walked us both into the house. My mother was sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the wall. I stared at her for a moment, wondering if she was okay.

"Mom?" 

She jumped a bit at the sound of my voice, and spun around to look at me, "Oh, you're back."

"Yeah."

She sat up straight, as if trying to compose herself. "I'm glad, I was just about to call you."

I walked over to the couch and sat by her, petting Mars who began to purr quite loudly. "Is something the matter?"

She shook her head, "Your father was called on a serious business trip that he couldn't refuse. He'll be gone for the week. I figured you'd want to know, in case you'd like to spend a while with Maggie."

"Why the hell would they call him on a trip right when such a tragedy was brought upon him?" I snorted, "Nobody cares about anyone anymore, do they?"

"No, it's not that. In fact, they begged him to stay home." My mother sighed, "The price of Amanda's burial was expensive. That funeral is expensive. We need the money, you should know that."

She sounded so exhausted, I wanted to cry. "That only means it's time that you let me get a job." I wanted to anything to help.

She shook her head quickly, "Hell no." Her arm wrapped around my shoulders, "I want you to stay young for as long as possible."

"I'm sixteen."

"You're young, you don't need a job yet."

I wanted to object, I wanted to fight until I won, but I didn't want to stress my mom any further. My whole life she has always told me that she didn't like the idea of me getting a job until I was out of school, and ready to move out on my own. She didn't want me or Amanda to have to worry about that kind of commitment, and I would always argue with her about it.

I never won.

I stayed with my mother for a while until she decided to go to her room and take a nap, or what I liked to call 'A depressed time out'.

I walked up to my room, and sat on my bed. Poppy ran to the door of her cage as she normally did when she was knew there was an opportunity for her to get a treat. The ironic thing about her, was that though she was a bunny, she hated carrots. I loved her for that. I loved anything different, and though it was something rather stupid, I loved the fact that she defeated her typical stereotype.

Even if she wasn't aware.

I laid my head down on my pillow, and sighed rather loudly. I hardly even noticed the cold temperature in which my room was, as my mind was wandering farther than usual. I began to think about what it'd be like to go back to school in a few days, and how I could possibly return my life back to how it was. It was never going to be the same, yet I knew I hate to act like it was.

Not to mention I was going to be on the center of attention in my whole grade for the next year. That was the last thing I wanted. I didn't like attention, and now I was going to get more of it than I never wanted.

I was going to try, though. I was going to make sure I acted as if Amanda's death didn't phase me at all. Maybe eventually, I would even convince myself that it never did.