Chapter Six

I really like cemeteries and I think about them a lot 

Chapter Six

"Dry your tears, this is a time to rejoice, not drown in sorrow. Besides," he began to straighten the clothes on his body, as if clearing them from imaginary dirt and grime, "Only the unloved can ever truly be free in bliss." How could someone say such a thing?

"You're right though." Maggie cried as she blew in a tissue that he had previously handed to her. "Nobody loves the ugly girl."

I stood there so helplessly. Mr. Parity, on the other hand seemed used to this. It was like he was magic when it came to calming people down. He worked in a cemetery after all. He wrapped his arms around her, embracing her into a large hug. If it weren't for his arms being so long, they probably wouldn't of even fit around her body. It was sad.

"Maggie." I said softly, "No matter what, I love you, even if you're an idiot sometimes." I smiled a bit, and so did she. Mr. Parity, on the other hand, seemed quite annoyed by the fact that I actually dared to talk during his little display of over-dramatic sympathy. I suppose he liked the spot-light. If that be the case, I would have interfered much earlier."You're quite a show, you know that?" I said as I turned to him, he seemed a bit surprised that I had said that, but nevertheless, he smiled anyway,

"I've been told by many; I know how to comfort the people."

"You know how to make a girl feel fat." Sniffed Maggie, as she laughed a bit- though it sounded quite sad- "You're nothing but skin and bones."

He shrugged, and smiled even wider, showing his imperfect, yet admirable teeth, "It's difficult to eat when you know what I do."

Me and Maggie stared at him for a moment, "What does that mean?"

He seemed to brush the topic off rather quickly, "It means what it is." He wrapped his long arm around me, and the other around Maggie, "Let's go inside for a bit, I feel it's becoming quite cold out here." Actually it wasn't getting any colder than is already has been for the whole day. I felt a rather strong rush of uneasiness as he lead us to the fancy stone building just as he has done with me previously.

"It's beautiful here." Maggie said as we walked inside. No amount of hand gestures, or mouthing words would grab hold of her attention. I tried as hard as I could to warn her that we should leave, and I knew she probably knew what I was trying to do too. She looked up at him, a look flashed in her eyes so suddenly before disappearing. It happened so quickly I didn't really get a good glimpse of what it was, but I had quite an idea of what it could be. 

She fancied him.

Of all men, why him?

"Sit down, my dears." He beckoned his hand towards a very rich looking couch that stood in what I liked to call, the 'mourning room'. Pushing all the bad thoughts out of my head, -including each and every thing we were currently vulnerable too- I sat beside Maggie, and Mr. Parity sat in a chair that was directly in front, and facing us. We all stared at each other for quite some time. I stared at him, he stared at me, Maggie, well, I do believe she was out of it. Her eyes scanned his whole body up and down more times than I could count.

Not enjoying the silence as much as Maggie was, I cleared my throat, and decided to say something. "So, uhh, what's with the mask?"

Mr. Parity cocked his head, "Suppose I ask, what's with the makeup?" He probably answered this question a million times.

"Excuse me?"

"You're wearing makeup."

"Yeah, so?"

"Why?"

I smiled and nodded my head. I knew exactly where this was going. "Alright, you win. I won't push that question as long as you don't push me for an answer."

He didn't seem happy about that, he seemed neutral. He knew he had a point, and he knew he made it quite clear. 

A girl began to walk into the room, as I tried to come up with something else to say. Mr. Parity wasn't saying a word, he just stared at us like we were to put on some sort of show. He seemed to be stuck in his own thought, though he easily broke out of it as the doll-like girl gently touched his shoulder. His head jerked over to look at her, and she quickly jumped back. "What is it?" He asked with absolute no emotion in his tone.

"You are needed in the refinement room." Her soft voice was so quiet, it seemed almost fake. Like she was some sort of pet, and had been trained to speak the way she was. 

A smile crossed his face, "At last." He stood up, though before leaving, he beckoned us to wait, "I'll be right back, don't hesitate to make yourselves comfortable." He then left the room with the girl alongside him. I took this as the perfect opportunity to leave. 

I quickly stood up and grabbed Maggie's arm, "Let's get the hell out of here." I said to her as I tried to drag all two and a half hundred pounds of her out of the room.

"What? Why would we leave?"

Just the sound of her wanting to stay made me cringe, "Believe me, Maggie, I'm doing this for your benefit."

"Avril, he told us to wait."

"I really don't give a damn what he told us to do, I'm leaving, and so are you."

She jerked her hand out of my grip making me stumble forward onto her. "We aren't leaving."

"Maggie-"

"We took my car. There is no way for you to leave. Just stay here. What else do we have to do today anyway?"

I looked her straight in the eye, usually I only had to use my 'threatening tone' when she was feeling sorry for herself, but now, I really wanted to punch some sense into her. "Maggie, so help me God, if you don't leave right this moment-" I tried to think of some sort of threat, but I really couldn't.

"You'll what?" She smiled, knowing that she had me. 

I just shook my head in disgust, "Fine. You know what? You stay. I'll walk home.""You're crazy."

"Apparently, I'm not as crazy as you."

Maggie crossed her chubby arms over her wide chest, making it look kind of bigger, "Fine." She said, knowing I wasn't going to back down, "Leave. I'm staying."

"He's eventually going to insult you."

"Just leave."

"Okay." I shrugged her off, and opened the front door, quickly I hopped out and darted for the entry of the cemetery.