Chapter Thirty-Eight

Elias and I both shared the back seat of an expensive black vehicle while some man dressed as a cliché chauffeur from the 50's drove us to the airport. I would have rolled my eyes at the expense of it all if it weren't for the solid fact that I was getting very used to the over-exaggerated treatment I received from everyone who Elias flashed his wallet to.   

There was an incredulous amount of space in the back of the vehicle for both Elias and I to be inches apart, and yet he seemed adamant on sitting so close to me that our bodies were pressed together. I didn't mind, and he seemed not to bring it up. Part of me was wondering if he was testing the waters of our boundaries to see just how far he could go when it comes to intimacy. Little did he know; my boundaries weren't as large as he thought.

I shifted, making the limited gap between us get even smaller, "This dress is the most uncomfortable thing I've ever worn." I whined with a pout.

Elias leaned back, "It's a magnificent dress, your being is glowing in luxury."

"My being is itchy and slowly suffocating."

"Ahh yes, the brooding price of luxury."

I shook my head as I tried to pull a few strands of lace from my torso, giving me room to breathe. "You're not the one wearing a dress."

"You're absolutely right, next time let's switch attire."

I rolled my eyes, "Ha ha very funny." The car ride wasn't as awkward as I thought it'd be. My mind kept venturing to the honeymoon part of this wedding, that being with Elias right now seemed like a piece of cake.

The thought of tonight, on the other hand, was terrifying.

I glanced up at Elias, who seemed to be lost in thought. His hair was slightly messed up since the ceremony, which I found to be adorable. His body was a bit tense, but I dared myself to lean my head on his shoulder anyway.

For a second it was awkwardly uncomfortable. I started to think maybe he didn't want me to be so close to him. And then he slowly wrapped his arm around me, and both of us relaxed.

I wondered what an entire life would be like, where Elias and I were married. To grow old together, through his odd lifestyle, something that I have grown incredibly accustomed too. Part of me wondered what my life would have been like if I hadn't met him. When I first started working at Parity Cemetery, I was appalled at how obsessed he was with highlighting funerals, to glamor the dead.

Now, I couldn't imagine a funeral without the fixation, the absurd amount of passion that I now expect every funeral to have.

Elias Parity has spoiled me.

I couldn't stifle the laugh that bubbled up in my throat. Elias glanced at me, a faint grin on his face, "Have I told a joke I'm not aware of?" He said, amusement and confusion lacing his tone.

I shook my head, "I'm beginning to wonder if maybe you have."

His eyebrows shot up, "Oh?"

"Suppose we never met, what do you expect you'd be doing right now?"

He frowned, silence wrapped us up as he thought. "Marrying a different young woman, one with a more affluent taste in style and intrigue."

I slapped his shoulder playfully, "I'm being serious."

"As am I."

"I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to tell your new newly wedded wife something like that."

"Well, you asked."

"You could have lied."

It's almost as if I could feel the amusement rippling off his body, "It isn't my fault I was taught to speak only honesty."

I nearly laughed, "Honesty. Hadn't you blackmailed me to work for you in the first place?"

He sucked in a breath, "If you're prodding for an apology, you're going to be immensely disappointed."

"Because you're too prideful?"

"Because I couldn't muster up an apology of I tried." He was quiet for a moment, his voice faint, "I don't regret it."

My trivial instinct was to spit out a sarcastic comment to him, but I realized I couldn't. I turned my head and found myself lost in his gaze. Suddenly my heart began to beat quicker, and quicker, and I knew that I wanted to kiss him right then.

And so, I did.

Elias didn't even seem taken back, it was as if he was expecting me to kiss him, waiting for it even. I almost wanted to scold myself for making him wait. For making myself wait.

I pulled myself up, pushing my body against his as he gladly allowed me to climb onto his lap. I ran my hands through his hair, refusing to acknowledge the fact that if you would have told me a month ago I would kiss Elias Parity, I would have laughed in your face.

Now, I couldn't get enough of him.

I only broke the kiss because my lungs were burning for air, and even then, Elias didn't stop as he began to kiss my neck. His breath on my skin made my whole-body shiver.

And then his fingers moved to the back of my dress, and I could feel them slowly undo the top button. My heart was racing, but I didn't stop him. I didn't want him to stop. My breathing was ragged, I felt I couldn't get enough air into my lungs. He slowly moved his hands to the second button, and I was sure he was going to undo it.

But he stopped.

"No." He hesitated, dropping his hands down completely.

My heart dropped, "What's wrong?"

His breathing was almost as desperate as mine as he cleared his throat in an attempt to gather himself, "Nothing, just-" As disappointed as I was, I couldn't help but feel strange seeing him act so utterly unkempt, if we weren't in our current situation I'd find it amusing. "I don't want to do this here."

I only nodded, I understood, but wasn't entirely pleased about it. "You're right." I said, pushing off him, back into my own seat, "How terribly voracious of you." I said as a poor attempt of a joke to lighten the moment.

Neither of us laughed.

For the rest of the car ride, we sat in silence. Elias wouldn't even touch me, and I don't think I could stomach it if he did. Eventually we made it to the airport, where I don't think I have ever been so grateful to get out of a car and walk into a massive building full of thousands of people.

The moment Elias stepped out of the car, it was as if nothing had happened. He returned to his normal, arrogant self, and I wondered how easily he managed to mask his emotions.

I wondered if maybe he could teach me how to do it.

He turned to me, before we entered the building, "Are you ready, Miss Adler?"

Ready for what?

I swallowed, how the hell did he gather himself so well? Finally accepting the fact that it was better for me not to speak, I nodded as he wrapped his arm around mine, and guided me in.