Chapter Thirty

I've come to believe small chapters are better than no chapters.

I hope you believe that too.

Thanks for reading this story 

Chapter Thirty

"I can't handle this." I said, as I paced the room, "It's gone too far. Elias you said nothing bad would happen-" 

"I know what I said." He cut me off, as he ran a hand through his hair, "Shut up and let me think."

"Think? What's there to think about? We have to get out of this, we can't actually get married for real."

He lit a cigarette, and stuck it in his mouth. For once, I didn't give a damn if he was smoking. Anything to keep his nerves down, I was accepting.

He didn't say anything, so I spoke up again, "Did you not hear them? They want us to get married in front of thousands of rich everybodies, despite the fact that I'm a solid, lowlife nobody." Still, silence. "Elias, even if we did get married, how the hell am I supposed to fit in with this type of lifestyle? I had trouble pretending for the two hours the Lancasters were here. I can't do a lifetime of scripted conversations."

He had his eyes shut, still taking a puff from the cigarette and exhaling clouds of smoke. If I didn't know any better, he almost looked as if he were in some sort of serenity trance. Peaceful.

"Hello?" I waved my hand in front of his face, "Why is it I'm the only one freaking out about this?"

"I told you to shut up and let me think."

"I told you there's no point in thinking, I'm not going to go along with it."

His eyes snapped opened, he turned to look at me, "Not even for a large fortune?"

"You're already giving me a large amount for today, what more could I want?"

We held eye-contact for a long moment before he finally said, "Everything that is mine will be yours. Can you imagine it, Avril?" He stood up, "What this cemetery needs are two people who love it more than each other. I can't fall in love, marry a woman and care for this place at the same time."

I shook my head, "You're talking mad."

"I'm talking logic. You'll have millions, Avril. Your family will get out of debt and will never have to work another day in their pathetic lives." He huffed, as if he were irritated and exhausted that I wasn't getting his point, "Do you not understand, if you don't go through with this, I could lose everything? The cemetery will be taken from me. I will be called a fraud, I'll have no purpose."

I knew that very well. If I didn't go along with this, it'd be all my fault that his life would be ruined. I couldn't even imagine what type of man he'd be without this cemetery. As he said, he truly would have no purpose. I wondered if it would drive him insane. Suicidal, even.

I hesitated before speaking up, "I'm eighteen."

"As am I."

"We are too young to be married already. God, what if I want to actually marry for the sake of love, Elias?"

He took hold of my hands, "Then whatever it takes, we could love if that's what you desire." Silence. "I have nothing to offer you that I've already given up. But if you want a lover, if that is what will convince you-"

"You can't force yourself to love someone." I said, as I tried to jerk my hands away from his grip, he wouldn't let me.

"That's just media-based propaganda, they say that so arranged marriages wouldn't contribute to the American lifestyle." He smiled a small smile that I could easily tell was forced, "We'll test the theory ourselves."

Was I really contemplating this? I couldn't believe what I was thinking. "My parents would never let me anyway, Elias."

"You're a legal adult. You can do whatever the hell you want."

"I live under their roof. Their rules."

"Marry me, and you can live here."

"I have school." Why was I just making excuses that I knew weren't relevant? I just wanted to find a reason that this was a mistake.

"I see no reason for you to quit going." All the signs are telling me that the money, the incredible wealth, the celebrity status, it'd all benefit my life -my family's lives, and even Maggie. I could help Maggie live happily. I could help all my loved ones live happily.

But how on Earth could I find happiness?

"You ruin everything, Elias." Was all I could manage to say.

The smile on his face fell, a look of sincere guilt blanketed his expression, "Everything I've done has come from a mass of ruining. It's all I can strive in anymore." He took another puff of the cigarette, "I'll teach you my ways, Avril, you'll learn to appreciate the sacrifices you must make for success, I promise you that."