Chapter Twenty Five

When it is 11:00 at night and you have been writing for four hours straight and your mom comes up with cookies

thanks mom

Chapter Twenty Five

"It's atrocious." I said nearly to the point in tears as it was the seventeenth dress I tried on and hated.

"It's just simply not suited for your figure." Mr. Parity corrected me, as he looked through the pile of dresses he had picked out for me, and pulled out a deep ruby-colored dress. "How about you try on this one?" Though we have been doing this for nearly three hours straight, he still seemed as chirpy as ever. It was as if he was actually enjoying this torture.

"What's the damn point?" I complained, as I slumped on a chair, and put my face in my hands, "I'm not beautiful enough for these thousand dollar dresses." I looked up at him, "I'm more comfortable in cheap jeans and a t-shirt." This is why I don't go clothes shopping. I get way too emotional about my unfortunate appearance.

Thanks mom and dad.

He placed his hand on his heart in offense, "Not beautiful enough? That's just cruel. My heart feels shattered you believe such a sinful lie."

I rolled my eyes, and pushed away the dress he was handing me, "Don't be so sarcastic." I muttered, "It's not my fault I was born ugly."

I frowned, "I can assure you I am being a hundred percent sincere, Miss Adler, if you were ugly, you wouldn't have a chance to even think about working in my cemetery."

I scoffed, and swiped the next dress out of his hand. "Whatever, just turn around and close your eyes."

He smirked, "Yes, my dear." He closed his eyes, and spun around. I kept my eyes on him the entire time I put the dress on, as I didn't trust him the slightest bit. After the dress was on, I glanced at myself in the mirror, only to absolutely hate it once again. I huffed, and ran my hand through my hair in a way to calm myself.

Mr. Parity looked over, and quietly gasped, "I do like that one indeed."

"You're kidding right?" I gave him a doubtful look, "It makes me look-"

"Divine? I do agree."

I groaned, and began taking the dress off, beckoning for him to again, turn around and not look. "So," I said as I slid the dress off, "what could happen if these people find out we aren't married?"

Though his back was turned to me, I saw him cross his arms over his chest, "They won't find out."

"But I'm just asking rhetorically, what if they do?"

"Then they'd state fraud, and my family's reputation would crash. Unless we marry for real, but I won't let that happen, do not fret about it, and just act the way I told you too."

"Well that's very comforting." I mumbled sarcastically, as I put my regular clothes back on. It was strange to be wearing jeans and a striped long sleeve shirt here at the cemetery. Not only that, but I was here at two in the morning. No one else was in the entire place, and it was quite unnerving.

It was quiet in the building, and I tried my hardest not to think about the thousands of dead people that were just outside.

"I'm finished." I said with a sigh of relief, "I'll just wear that one, even though it's hideous."

"Hideously charming."

I shook my head, unable to keep the smiling from appearing on my lips, "Shut up." I shoved him slightly, as I walked out of the changing room, with him following closely behind.

Most the lights were off in the building, indicating that I shouldn't be here at all, and that Mr. Parity was only doing this at this time to make me angry. 

I know how his mind works.

"It's cold in here." I said as I was feeling the exhaustion take over me. We had been here nearly all day, going over the rules, and the 'act' I was supposed to present around these important people. It was annoying that I had to waste my only off-day, Saturday, to be here yet again.

Though, it made sense as Mr. Parity didn't want the other workers to know we were doing this together. No one could know I had agreed to do this.

"That's what happens when the weekend is abrupt."

I sat in one of the sofas in the entrance room. I just looked around, admiring the chandelier, marble flooring, and expensive furniture and artwork. It was truly lovely in here. Even the outside, as I could see it from out the windows and glass doors, that it truly looked eerie, but all the more magnificent at night.

"Just three more days until we must put on a show." He said, as he sat beside me, "I don't think you are ready at all."

"Well, I'm your best option, unless you don't want me to do it."

"No, no." He stated quickly, "You're my only option, really."

I nodded, and laid my head back, "You just have no faith I can succeed."

He copied me once again, and leaned his head back as well, "I suppose that's it."

"Cruel." I said with a slight laugh.

He smiled, but something told me he was a bit nervous about the whole thing as well, "I was never not cruel, my dear."

I didn't hear him say anything after that. As the instant I had closed my eyes, I fell asleep.