Chapter Twenty Eight

It's hard to update stories when you work.

I don't know how other people do it honestly.

I'm trying to figure it out.

Chapter Twenty Eight

Incommodious, or rather insane. Back and forth I watched him pace, he would sit down, only to get up seconds later in apprehension. Mr. Parity and I, alone together for most the night and morning. I've practically perceived every emotion available from this man at this point. 

"God," He spoke as he ran both his hands through his hair. Sitting down, he let out a long sigh before standing up, and running his hands in his hair yet again, but more frantically. "I think I'm losing it." He murmured as he glanced at me, "How on earth are you so calm? Are you on a drug-" He paused for a moment, then pointed at me as if he had found inspiration, "I think I need some stimulants. That's a brilliant idea."

My father finally confronted me last night. Spoke on about how I've become thin, and that he has seen me sneak out at night to 'God knows where'. That led to a full on interrogation that my highly disturbed acumen didn't need at that time. It got to the point, my mother had woken up from my father's yelling, and started to accuse me of sleeping with men at night. 

Her perfect little virgin was being poisoned by that rat of a boyfriend. 

Damn Maverick Collins, AKA how Mr. Parity was known by my parents.

I managed to resolve the heavy conflict by promising my parents I'd start taking time off of work to do things with them.

I was just praying Elias would actually allow me to do that.

I kept my gaze on the 'wedding ring' on my finger. I kept twisting it around and around. It was beautiful, I never in my life thought I'd wear something so gorgeous and expensive on my body.

"Go ahead." I spoke sarcastically, as I gently rubbed my finger on the big diamond on the ring, "Take enough narcotics to overdose. I'm sure your cemetery won't suffer with your wife here."

His face fell flat, "Suppose I do decease, how would you take care of the cemetery?"

That made me look up at him, "What?"

He shrugged, and glanced back out the window, "Your name is now with mine. Even though we aren't officially married, these guests would expect you to take over the Parity Cemetery."

Don't even worry about it, Avril. Don't even care.

"I'll probably take your fortune, adjust the cemetery down to a normal one, and give it to the state officials to deal with."

His face spun to me, "You wouldn't dare."

"I would. You better hope you don't decease too soon." Today was a day of stress for the both of us. I've dedicated myself to not fret over anything more than meeting these guests, and acting up to Elias's expectations. Which were incredibly impossible to accomplish.

Years ago, I had told myself by this time in my life, I'd be happy with a cute blonde headed boyfriend, a job as a sweet-talking waitress, as I prepared myself for college, and a future career ready in mind. That was my goal. My dream. 

I never thought I'd end up with a wedding ring, eleven-thousand dollar dress, and 'marriage' dedication to a man with presentation issues logged so deep into his brain, that it overcomes his ability to process like a normal human being. 

Parity Cemetery was more like every other cemetery on earth, than the dream the media makes it out to be. A dark place where life stamps officially to an end. My dreams can no longer thrive whilst I stay here. They are dead, all of them, along with my craving to be a normal girl with a normal life.

At least I was getting ten grand out of all this.

I should have asked for more.

As I sat there, feeling incredibly sorry for myself, I heard the faint noise of a car engine, getting louder as the gates of the cemetery rattled open. Elias, who was looking out of the window, dashed over to me, pulled me up out of my seat without warning, and began brushing my dress off in a matter of seconds.

"Look ravishing my dear, they have arrived-damn it, your hair is a mess." He began to pull strands of my hair around, fixing them into place. I tried to push his frantic hands away, but he would smack me any time I made a move. "Now don't forget all I have taught you. Your manners are imperative. Remember to smile, but not too much, you don't want to seem like a whore- and don't forget to keep your distasteful attitude away, one eye-roll and I'll end you myself."

"Okay-okay-" I finally managed to shove him away, "I got it, gosh, you're worse than my mother."

"If your mother was anything like me, you wouldn't be such a mess right now."

I scowled at him, "At least my mother is kind with her words." I took a deep breath, hoping he'd get the hint to do the same, "Everything is going to be fine. I know how to act, and I know you'll be able to do whatever it is you need to succeed with these guys." I reached over and grabbed his hands which, surprisingly, were faintly quivering. Either I calm him down now, or he might be the one to ruin the day. 

That would be quite entertaining to see if I was honest.

Unfortunately, I knew better than to let something like that happen, at least, not if I had a way to stop it.

It was like, finally, I was in control with Elias for once. This was it. This was my chance.

I looked him in the eye, he stared at me, as if trying to read my face, I said, "Don't screw up, that'll all be on you." Pause. "But, if you do, I'll make sure to help you through it." I smiled, a fake, but hopeful smile, "So, husband, let's get this goddamn day over with."

I intertwined my arm with his. At first, he gaped at me, as if not knowing what to say, or do, but eventually, a smile crept on his lips, "As you say, my dear Scarlet, let us rule."