𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

It's pouring

It's pouring. It’s raining so heavily that I can barely see the road. I squint out the windscreen, trying to make out my surroundings through the blur of water gushing down the glass. I rub a hand over my chin, deep in thought as my thoughts pelt against my brain like the rain that drums a beat on the roof of my car.

I think of the consequences of what I’ve just done, of all the damage I've got to control once I get back. After vanishing and then reappearing two weeks later, I’m bound to have questions I don’t want to answer thrown at me from every angle. But I had to leave. I didn’t have a choice.

There was too much happening, too much going on in my brain. Too much I couldn't control. I had to leave. If I'd told them where I was going, they would have insisted on joining me. Having them with me would have been too risky.

The tires of my car dip into a pothole covered in water and I realise that I’d zoned out. Refocusing my vision, I try to hyper-focus on the road in front of me. I’ll worry about how I’m going to answer those questions when I’m finally in my own home.

Mere seconds later, I zone out again, my brain fumbling over possible questions and how I’m going to answer them. Will they believe me? What will they think of me? Will they finally realise that I’m —

A figure shoots out in front of me. I swerve the steering wheel left. The rear tires skid across the wet tar as I struggle to control the car. “Fucking hell!

The car screeches to a halt. I put it in park instantly, trying to calm my crazy breathing. What the hell was that? Did I knock it?

I stuff my gun into the holster at my side and push open the door, stumbling out into the pouring rain. The cold rain runs over my leather jacket and soaks the rest of my body. I drag a hand through my wet hair, shifting it away from my vision as I cautiously approach the lump that is lying on the side of the road, covered in thick mud.

It’s a dog. No. The figure’s too big to be a dog. It’s a deer. That doesn't check out either. Figure’s too skinny to be a deer. It's...

It’s a human.

I’m careful not to slip on the mud as I reach the person… the person who is a girl.

Extending a hand forward, I attempt to shift the hair and mud off her face and check if she’s alive but before I could, the girl gets up.

The headlights of my car shine bright into the girl's eyes when she opens them.

Blue.

Blue, blue eyes stare up at me filled with terror and reddened with tears.

My own widen and my heartbeat accelerates. “Holy fu — ”

I’m cut off by the bloodcurdling scream that escapes from her. She scrambles backwards, away from me, hands slipping in the mud.

“Sweeth-” I try to reach for her but she's still screaming, moving further away. Suddenly, the screaming stops, but she's still shuffling backwards, her mouth still open on a silent scream.

Her blue eyes widen even further, to the point that worries me. They fill with more fear and she’s barely breathing, her lungs occupied with that silent scream.

And then she passes out, eyes rolling back in her skull. She sinks into the mud as I trudge in after her.

I don’t care about the mud on my boots or that my car seats are going to be soaked.

All I can think about are those blue eyes.

Looky look I updated. Super short, I know but it's something at least.

Until next time (next time being December)
Enjoy <3