A1C13: The Sewers

We swung across the city as fast as we could, and landed on top of a tall building next to Central Park to stake it out. "See anything Gwen?" I asked. "No, nothing yet." She replied, looking down at the whole park. "He's a big guy. It shouldn't be easy for him to hide like this." I said, waiting for any signs of movement. Where could he be. Gwen over to the right corner of the building while I was on the left. All of a sudden my Spider-Sense tingled.

I looked behind me and tried to jump away but the Lizard was too quick, it had pounced on me and dragged me down, falling off the building together with me "Spider-Man!" Gwen yelled out and jumped after us. I was pinned between his claws and it took all I had to keep him from crushing me. I was either going to be crushed or I was gonna go splat on the ground. with an entire dinosaur's weight on top of me.

Then Gwen, falling closer to us, armed her salt-bombs, and shot one right onto the back of the Lizard. It was effective, I was able to push out of his grip immediately and shot my webs on the building to keep myself from hitting the ground. The Lizard, hurt from the salt, tried to claw onto the side of the building, slowing down his decent but ultimately it wasn't enough to stop him from hitting the ground. However He immediately woke up, and ran towards Central Park, seemingly holding a can in his mouth.

"Spider-Woman! He's going after the civilians!" I yelled at Gwen and she replied, "Got it." zipping onto trees to make sure she gets on the ground faster to chase after him. I charged up my legs on the side of the building and jumped out, diving down towards Central Park too right behind her, "How much of the bombs do you got?" I asked. "I just used one so, 3 more?" She answered, swinging right behind the rapidly running Lizard and shooting another Salt-Bomb onto its back, but it missed and the Lizard threw the canister across the park, reaching the panicked civilians.

My Spider-Sense went off, everything seemed to move in slow motion. I saw that green gas was coming out of the canister. I quickly landed on the ground to bounce and boost myself forward faster, zipping a web towards the canister, and then flinging it onto the air. Gwen had the same idea, and we both shot alot of webs onto the canister, making sure it was all covered airtight in webs. Right after, I double tapped my Web-Shooter, swinging back towards the already escaping Lizard, and shot a Salt-Bomb onto him.

The Lizard roared out in pain, then instead of continuing to escape, ran towards me and grabbed me from midair hitting me into the ground hard. Gwen immediately shot another one of her Salt-Bombs, weakening him even more where I was able to push his hands away and flip out of the way. I armed my last Salt-Bomb to make sure he stays stunned so we could hopefully contain him. I shot the bomb at the weakened reptile, when he dodged the shot right before it hit, lunging at me again.

I dodged his lunge this time because he was much weaker from the salt. Toxins were building up in his body. I zipped onto him and tried to control his rage, riding on his back and punching his head over and over. Gwen trying to intercept wherever the Lizard would try to run towards. She finally shot her last Salt-Bomb, making aure that he gets stunned, so we could web him up still.

"How are we going to contain him? he's bound to gain enough strength again to break out our webs, and no prison is good enough to hold a monster like this." Gwen walked towards me confused. "At least, he's in a weakened state right now and we can take a break. I think if we could bring him back to his lab, and reverse engineer his Human Tank thing after making a Lizard cure, we could probably revert him back to his human form." I responded, "So basically just drown him in some cure."

Gwen looked away and was deep in thought, "But how do we do all that while he's still weak. How long do we have before he gains back his strength?" She whispered under her breath, when suddenly, The Lizard had used its tail to throw up his webbed up canister into the air, then biting it, swallowing all of it whole. "Shoot, Gwen get away!" I jumped to get her out of the way, when the Lizard suddenly grew bigger from consuming his canister, breaking free from the webs and clawing away around himself, although still hurt and weakened.

We tried to chase after the lizard from escaping but then suddenly the Lizard started getting smaller, almost human sized, and went inside an open sewer hole. Right before I went inside to chase the Lizard, Gwen pulled onto my hand, "Someone's been affected by the remnants of the gas!" A lady in her 30s was on the ground, Green Scale-Like rashes growing out her left arm towards her face. "Spider-Woman, you take care of her, bring her to the hospital, then contact me. I'll meet up with you soon as I can. I'm gonna chase down Connors."

She nodded and ran towards the woman to help her, and I jumped into the manhole, and landed into the sewer systems. It was dark, and echoey, and empty. "It smells awful." I sighed under my breath. No sign of the Lizard. I walked through the sewers, checking all the corners and different pathways, there were no trails, or footprints, nothing. It must've used the sewer water to swim away fast.

I kept walking hoping to find him, only to find a makeshift lab at the end of one of the tunnels, seemingly abandoned some time ago. It was the Lizards. multiple test tubes of chemicals and lizard DNA made to try and transform people into lizards in more 'efficient' ways, as quoted on some of the printed logs on the tables. "This is bad. We really gotta stop him now." As I was putting down a document, my Spider-Senses activated, I dodged from the Lizards pounce, but I saw that he was much smaller. Surprised at the sudden change, I let my guard down and got hit by a tackle, pushing me into the sewer water as it tried to drown me. I tucked my legs in and kicked him off back onto the side, and webbed my way out of the water, "Ugh. Gross. This smell will stay for a while. You better pay for my laundry for the week." I quipped at the lizard, jumping at it and knocking it out. I walked over to see he had an ID card, from Alchemax.

It wasn't Connors. It was some scientist named Bart. A coworker of his maybe? This is even bigger than we all thought. We have to make a cure, and fast. I tried updating Gwen on this but there were 0 bars under here. I took some samples of the chemicals used for the lizard, and brought it with me outside. "Hey, Gwen? You hear me now?" I tapped into our comms. "You're ok! What happened? I couldn't contact you for a few." Gwen replied. "Zero bars. But I got some info on the Lizard we should talk about in person. What's your status over at the hospital?" I answered. She paused for a moment then replied, "It's far worse than we thought. These people aren't being poisoned, they're-" "Turning into lizards? Just like Connors?" I cut her off. "Yeah.. How'd you know that?" She asked. "I'm on the way to you, I'll explain when I get there."

TO BE CONTINUED...