△ Chapter 28 △

''Sit down'' He pointed to a couple of chairs close by. ''My name is Vince. And the reason we're doing this is because we're going to use them to get inside their headquarters.

''We're collecting Immunes to mimic WICKED." Gally said.

''I'm surprise. How many of you are there?"

''Well. We're talking about a few hundred''

''So what exactly are you planning to do?''

''WICKED basically has their own little army. Even if we could find the largest stash in the world of Launchers and everything else they use, we'd still be at a huge disadvantage. The only way to even the playing field is to make sure they don't have any weapons. Then we might stand a chance."

''So you're going to steal them somehow?" Brenda asked. "Stop a shipment? What?''

''One woman is the key. Her name is Charlotte Chiswell. She was a lead engineer for the biggest arms manufacturer in the world. At least for the advanced weaponry that uses second-generation technology. Every pistol, Launcher, grenade—you name it—used by WICKED comes from there, and they all rely on advanced electronics and computer systems to function. And Charlotte's figured out a way to render their weapons useless.

''There's a common chip in every weapon they use, and she's spent the last several months trying to figure out a way to reprogram the things remotely—to jam them. She finally did it. It'll take a few hours once she starts, and a small device needs to be planted inside the building for it to work, so our people who plan to hand over the Immunes will do the job. If it works, we won't have weapons, either, but at least we'll have a level playing field.

Vince paused. ''We have three Bergs. We're going in with about eighty people. We'll hand over the Immunes to our contact inside; we'll blow out a hole in the wall and let everyone else in. Once we've gained control of their facility, Charlotte will help us get enough of the weapons running again to stay in control. We'll blow up the place if we have to''

The room fell silent. Everyone stared at Thomas and his friends, waiting for a response.