what if noah david survived infancy?

t/w
infant loss, child sexual abuse, religious trauma

not proofread bc I don't feel like it

-

Noah Michael David, younger brother of Lucie David, second and youngest child and only son of Sofia and Michael David. Born prematurely, he didn't even make it to a day old.

But in this world, he made it so much longer.

-

Noah was born right on time. Noah was born a healthy baby. Like his sister, he was born on the floor. Though, his parents were twenty-three now. His three year old sister still got to hold him when he was three hours old. But this time he didn't die.

This time, just like his big sister, he got to be abused.

Raped, manipulated, he got all of that. Just like his big sister, and is big sister's best friend, Laura.

-

Noah grew up clinging to Lucie, who clung to Laura. So, it's more accurate to say that he grew up clinging to Laura, just from a bit more of a distance. He grew up with the idea of becoming a Supreme Angel, being a part of God's special choir. That's what would happen when he died, when his sister died, when his parents died. They would become Supreme Angels all because they followed Gregory.

He was nine when they left.

One morning after breakfast, Laura and Lucie pulled Noah aside. "So, Lucie and I are leaving tonight. And you're coming with us." Laura said it matter-of-factly. "Where are you going?" Noah asked, tilting his head and the girls looked at each other. "We don't know just yet," Lucie replied. "But, it's not going to be away from here. And I'm not gonna leave you behind, Noah."

Noah wasn't sure what to say. "Okay."

"And you can't tell anyone. Not even Gregory."

Still unsure of what to say, he just repeated "Okay."

-

That night, they left. Lucie and Laura crept into the boy's dorm as quietly as they could and softly woke Noah up. He had packed a small bag with a few clothes and a plain brown teddy bear he called Lucas. They crept out, out the dormitory, out the compound and into the woods.

For three days, the trio was just fine.

On the third night, they were walking in a strange pattern. Lucie leading them up front, Noah in the middle, and Laura in the back.

Normally, they walked side by side or Lucie and Laura were reversed. Noah turned around to see...no Laura. He didn't think to tell his sister, but instead turned around, walking in another direction.

He'd curse himself for this the rest of his life.

Why did he just tell her that Laura was gone?

Maybe, they could have found her together.

Or maybe they could've at least been together when they got separated from Laura. Maybe that. 

But, no.

Surprise, surprise, he didn't find her. He didn't know how long he'd been wandering around for before he realized...where the hell was Lucie? 

"Hey, Lucie? Laura? Lucie! Laura!"

No response, he crouched down by a tree, already crying. Where were they? Why couldn't he find them?

-

It was all a blur. He just kinda walked and walked before finding his way in a city and to a neighborhood street. He walked down it for a little bit before knocking on a door. No answer. He knocked again.