5

Dumbledore explained all about the castle as we made our way to the ground floor, about the portraits or the shifting staircases. Not something I didn't knew already. I loved hearing Uncle Moony's stories when he was younger. Remus and I were being ushered in the great hall through a chamber near the head table.

"That's an interesting cloak, miss Lupin-Black." Dumbledore asked with his hand on the door handle, that led to the great hall.

"I charmed it myself, sir." I said, my fingers went over my hood involuntarily.

"Very interesting." He said again with a lingering look before he pushed the door open and walked out. Remus followed and I peered out of the room and took in the crowded room.

All the older students were already sitting at the designated tables. I could easily figure out which table was which, with the colours that filled them. Starting from left to right was: Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor and Slytherin. my eyes flickered over each table as I wondered what house I would be sorted in. My mother was in Ravenclaw, Sirius and Remus in Gryffindor. I knew the rest of the Black family was sorted into Slytherin, while my mother's family all went to Beauxbatons. I followed Remus out, who took a seat at end of the table, sitting next to a professor with greasy black hair that reached his shoulders. I saw the professor sneer at Remus and my eyes shot daggers at him.

The whispers of the students began to fill the room as they saw me enter after Remus. I took a seat next to him; an extra chair had been added at the end of the long table. I recognized the red headed twins at the Gryffindor table. They whispered and shot me curious glances. I turned my attention to the back of the room as another professor, Professor McGonagall, I presumed as I remembered the pictures Remus had showed me, walked in front of all the first years to the front of the room. McGonagall's eyes caught mine and she send me a smile before ushering the little ones to the front. Professor McGonagall hushed the room as she started calling each child up to the little stool in front of Dumbledore. After the sorting was done, I saw Harry walk in with the bushy haired girl from the train and sat down near the twins, Harry's curious eyes on me.

Dumbledore stood up and greeted everyone.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have few things to tell you all, and since one of them is very serious, I will start with that." I saw all the students look worried at the headmaster. The room completely silent, if you'd drop a needle, you would hear it clatter to the ground. The headmaster cleared his throat and continued.

"As you're all aware after their search on the train, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business." He paused for a second. "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises – or even invisibility cloaks. I warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs foul of the Dementors. On a happier note, I'm happy to announce two new teachers to our rank this year." Suddenly all eyes in the room turned to me and Remus. Remus and I shared a look and snickered softly.

"Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher." Remus bowed slightly at the room. The reception was rather bland, but I saw Harry and his friends clap as enthusiastically as me. "As our second appointment, well I'm sorry to say that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs." I snorted in my pumpkin juice as Remus patted my back softly, the eyes of the other students flickered between me and Dumbledore. "However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid." The students were stunned for a moment as their eyes shifted from me to the man named Hagrid before applause broke out.