58

It was weird and familiar at the same time sitting with the other Beauxbatons students in class. Not all of them of course, some, like Fleur, were in their seventh year. I tried to switch each class so I could sit with everyone. Ancient Runes with Emmett was still the smallest class, only Jack and Deirdre were in this class. I kept my seat next to Emmett as we worked great together.

The first task was coming up quickly and I had to go to the weighing of our wands. George came knocking on the door when I was in Arithmancy with Lee and Jazz.

"Sorry for the interruption." He said, not looking remotely sorry. "Alec needs to come to the weighing of the wands."

"Of course." The professor nodded. "Miss Lupin-Black, take your things with you, I think it might take a while."

As I packed my stuff, Jazz wiggled her eyebrows at me. She leaned closer as I clasped my bag shut. "Which one is it?"

"George."

"How do you know?"

"I always know." I shrugged. "I'll see you later." I walked over to the door and when George closed it behind me, I said. "Hey, you."

"It's been a while since we had some alone time."

I hummed, because he's right. It has been a while since I've been alone with him or with both of them. "Is that why you're the one that is escorting me to the room?"

"Professor McGonagall asked the ones who had a free period, and I volunteered. Fred had detention."

"For what?"

"For jinxing Crabbe, or was it Goyle? I never know which one is which."

"Because they look so alike?" I grinned with a raised eyebrow. I never knew who was who either, but he didn't need to know that.

He gave me that lopsided grin that made my heart speed up. "All dumb, half troll Slytherins look alike to me."

I laughed as I looped my arm through his. I'd missed this. I had missed him. George was beaming next to me, proud that he made me laugh. "Thank you for trying to get to know Jack and Jazz."

"They're important to you, so they're important to us." I squeezed his arm in return. "I don't want to overstep my boundaries but you and Jack, are you like, back together?"

"I -" I looked up at his deep brown eyes, he was searching for something. I didn't know what to say, should I tell the truth, I mean part of the truth. Or should I lie and tell him we were boyfriend and girlfriend. So, maybe we can all break from this tension. "You're not overstepping." I looked to the floor as we walked through the great hall. "Jack and I will always be friends, what we're doing now is just some fun. It's easy and familiar. What about you?"

"Me?"

"I haven't seen any girl around you or Fred this year."

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Enjoying the single life."

"George." I placed my hand on his arm when we stopped in front of the door. "It's not because of me, is it? I don't mean to sound all big-headed, but I heard someone talking. They thought... they thought you or Fred might... like me. Like more than a friend." George stilled in front of me. He was staring at me, it seemed like both of us couldn't look away. I was holding in my breath, afraid of the answer. "George?"

"It's not you." He finally said. "We're friends, great friends but just friends."

"Oh, alright." I really didn't know what answer I wanted, but this one cut through my heart. "Good. Glad we cleared that up." I looked away, trying to hide the hurt in my eyes. "I should go inside."