chapter two

The next morning she got up late. She didn't exactly know how it happened, since she actually had set an alarm the evening before and she could clearly remember hearing said alarm. Okay, technically she did know, she actively turned off the alarm and kept sleeping unbothered, but she didn't actually intend to sleep in and miss the first part of media day on track. It was the day on which she had more fun: the drivers weren't rivals, they were just guys that wanted to have fun.

The first time she ever attended a media day, Carlos was Lando's brand new teammate. They used to have so much fun together, and since that day Carlos and Alya had gotten closer. They had the typical flirty, platonic relationship that anyone with booktok aspired to have. It had been a while since she attended a day like that, and she realized that there were a bunch of people that she still didn't know properly. For example, Carlos' teammate in Ferrari, Charles, on whom she used to have a crush when he drove in Formula 2. Or Lando's new teammate, Oscar, whom she had never met in person before. 

She used to attend every single race when they were younger, then with work and the new manager and the events she started attending it became harder being on track. So she lost a lot of important moments in Lando's career. Of course they would celebrate after, but that situation objectively hurt both of them; so she was glad she could finally be there for him. 

Once she was done with her skincare routine - and had filmed a tiktok about it - she took some clothes from her luggage and wore them, did her make up and strarted putting on shoes while stumbling out the door. She checked her pockets to be sure she had her phone and started walking to the elevator.

"Alya I didn't know you'd come! Lando didn't say anything about it" someone said. That voice was absolutely unmistakable.

"Danny!" she ran up to him smiling, hugging him tightly. "I've missed you."

"Me too kiddo" he said. "How's everything? I watch every single one of your vlogs and I still haven't figured out if you're fine or mentally unstable" he joked.

"I'd say that sums up my life" she laughed. "I'm good though, apart from the usual brekdowns. Life's been treating me well, a bit of stress is inevitable at times" she said, and then "how are you? And Heidi?"

"We're good" he said, while they got in the lift. "She's flying in tomorrow, so that we can stay a bit in London for the summer break before going back to Monaco. We loved it last time we were there" he said.

"You're staying in London? No way, I'm going back there after the weekend! We should definitely catch up" she stated.

"We definitely will" he answered. "Do you need a ride to the track?" he asked, pointing at the car. She hadn't thought about the fact she had to get to the track, and that it wasn't exactly behind the corner. 

"Yes actually, thank you" she said, entering the car while Danny was keeping the door open. He shut it behind her and got to the driver's seat. 

"Do you finally have your license?" He asked after a minute of silence.

"I do! I don't have a car though. I have no idea how I should choose a car. What's the criteria? Like, aren't they all the same?" She spoke. He started laughing.

"They're definitely not all the same. If they were, Ferrari wouldn't be so shit this season and Redbull wouldn't be so great" he tried to explain.

"Yeah okay I get your point, but I'm not talking about racing cars. Also, all racing cars could get better. Look at McLaren, it's getting higher positions every race" she shrugged.

"You always want to be right, don't you?" he said laughing.

"What do you mean want to? I am always right." she laughed. 

"Okay, okay, let's put it like this then: since every car is the same" he said, with a mocking tone "I'll help you choose one next week when we'll catch up in London. How does that sound?"

"Absolutely perfect" she answered. "Not to brag but that was my plan all along." she smiled proudly. He rolled his eyes jokingly, then parked the car.

"Do you already have your pass?" he asked. She freezed for a moment.

"Shit no, Lando's parents should've picked it up for me but I think they forgot" she said. "Do you think I can do it here? I don't know how it works now it's been a while" she said looking at him.

"I have no idea, but I'll stay with you. My meetings start in an hour or so" he shrugged.

"A whole hour? Why are you already here?" she asked, shocked. She would always get to meetings at the exact time they were scheduled at, sometimes even late - as that day.

"I was ready to go. And I heard someone stumble in the hall, I wanted to check if they were okay" he said, looking knowingly at her.

"I was late! I was putting my shoes on" she defended herself.

"Mhm" he hummed in response, getting out of the car.

"I didn't fall this time!" she exclaimed, following him. He laughed, guiding her to the entrance. He exchanged a few words with a security guy, who disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a paddock pass in his hand. Daniel handed it to her.

"It's valid for the whole weekend" he said.

"I know, I was the one who purchased it. I just couldn't pick it up" she said. She winked and started walking away. 

"I'll see you later?" he yelled.

"Yes! You can't just get rid of me, you know?" she laughed in return. Then she passed the entrance and walked to the paddock, with the idea of stealing a coffee from the McLaren motorhome.