chapter twenty-seven

"You know what's funny?" she asked, a bit drunk, to Kika.

They were sitting in a big group - her closest friends on the grid and their girlfriends - on the floor, in a sort of deformed circle. Many guests had left, leaving the group there at three in the morning. She had already opened the presents - finding out that while Alex had brought something, Charles hadn't. She had tried not to think about it, getting another drink.

They were all tipsy, or drunk, and they were still listening to Alya's playlist.

Wonderland by Taylor Swift was playing.

"What's funny?" Kika replied, definitely less drunk than her.

"I've spent years singing this song wrong" she giggled. "I was firmly convinced that it went like 'Didn't they tell us don't rush into things, then you flashed your green eyes at me'" she sang. "Which is totally wrong!" she laughed.

"That is kinda funny" Daniel said - he was drunk as well. "How could you not know the right lyrics?" he asked.

"I don't know!" she laughed. "But I was convinced. It took me years to realize it was wrong" she said, singing it wrong on purpose on the actual song. As she did so, her eyes fell of Charles'.

She thought about how she felt when they were near.

How it felt to hug him.

How she wanted to always be in his company.

How she always looked for him when entering a room.

How his lips felt on hers.

How she wanted to kiss him again.

How she hoped that those feelings would go away to not get hurt. And to avoid hurting him.

Her eyes widened.

"Oh fuck" she whispered.

"Are you okay?" Alexandra asked, her expression worried as she was sitting beside her and had heard her cussing.

"Yeah" she smiled. "Just...Max, can I talk to you? And Kika?" she said, getting up. Everyone looked at her. "Keep going, I just gotta tell them something" she smiled.

They exited the room, closing the door behind them.

"You're scaring me, what's wrong?" Max asked.

"Yeah, are you okay?" Kika echoed him.

"'Then you flashed your green eyes at me'" she said.

They looked at each other confused. "I'm not following" Max said. Kika agreed.

"Green eyes" she said. "I'm fucked"

"Okay, can you please be more specific?"

She sighed. "I have feelings for him. Like actual feelings." she said.

"We're talking about Charles right?" Max asked. When she nodded he smiled widely. "Fucking finally!"

"Don't be so happy! He has a girlfriend!" she whined.

"She's not gonna last" Kika said. "What, have you seen how he looks at you?"

"Have you seen how he looks at her?" she replied. "This is just great. I really hoped I could go on denying whatever I felt with that kiss and now boom, I'm fucked. Totally."

"I'm sorry, back up for a moment" Max said. "What kiss?"

"A few months ago I had a panic attack and to stop it he kissed me" she explained. "Well I asked him to kiss me and he did" she sighed.