chapter thirty-four

The room was packed with people.

Everyone was talking to everyone, there was a widespread buzz in every corner - you almost couldn't hear the music.

There was a wall made out of windows, which led to the terrace; next to it a bar. There were lots of tables no one was using and a big free square to use as a dance floor. Even tho it was a formal event - with long dresses and black ties - the music was a total vibe.

Kika and Alya tried to get through the crowd together, losing each other half way.

When she reached the bar and looked back, Kika was nowhere to be seen. She sighed, asking the barman for a classic gin tonic.

She turned to face the dancing crowd as she was waiting for her drink, analysing every face in the room.

She spotted Carlos on the other side of the dance floor, talking to a girl. Alex Albon and Lily were dancing together. She saw Kelly and Max talking on the terrace. Next to them, she could see Alexandra - Charles was nowhere to be seen. She knew that Danny and Heidi were running late, as they had texted the group chat.

"Here's your drink madame" the young waiter said behind her. She smiled at him as she picked up the glass, pushing away from the counter and taking a few steps towards the crowd.

As she took a sip, scanning the room, someone lightly grabbed her waist.

"You are absolutely gorgeous" Charles whispered in her ear. Before she could even turn around, he had already disappeared.

A shiver ran up her spine, chills spread on her skin as she slowly lost the feeling of his breath on her neck.

It was crazy how much influence he had on her.

"There you are, I totally lost you in there" Kika said, hand in hand with Pierre behind her. "First drink I hope?"

"Yes" she said. "I don't want to drink too much tonight"

"You say that every time"

"Yeah, but this time I could do stupid shit and I really don't want to" she giggled.

"Fair enough" Kika said. "Hey, have you noticed that they look distant?" she asked, knowing that Alya already knew who she was talking about.

"I thought I was the only one to think so" she said. "You know, I thought my delusions were making me see things"

"You gotta trust your guts more" Kika smiled.

"Don't feed my delusions" Alya said, pouting.

"Remember what they say, being delulu is the only solulu to make your dreams come trulu" she winked.

"What?" Pierre asked, confused. They burst out laughing.

"You don't spend enough time on tiktok" Alya said.

"And you spend too much time on tiktok" Pierre replied.

"Touché" Alya raised her glass.

"Are you coming to the dance floor with us?" Kika asked.

"Best if I don't" she laughed. "I'm gonna hang out here, thank you very much"

"Whatever you're more comfortable with" she smiled. "But we're going to dance, love you bye" she said, dragging a desperate Pierre to the dance floor. She giggled looking at them.

She walked around for a bit, looking for someone to talk to. She saw Charles hand Alex a drink, smiling. She turned away, walking towards the door.

"Hey! You made it" she smiled, meeting Danny and Heidi halfway through. They smiled.