chapter nineteen

"No, Carlos, stop" Alya said, blocking the door with her body. 

"Why? Are you not alone?" he asked.

"It's none of your business, and I don't want you to get in" she said.

"So you're not alone"

"What do you care? We're not together, Carlos. We never will be. We will always only be friends" she said.

"So Charles is here" he said.

"Again, it's none of your business. Why are you telling people we're together?"

"Because!" he said. "I've had feelings for you for months. How can you not see that?"

"Because I don't feel the same!" she said, getting angry. "You have no right telling people lies like that. If you don't back off and understand the place you have in my life, I'll make sure you won't have a place at all" she threatened, closing the door to his face. She stayed still, waiting for his footsteps to go away, then relaxed when she couldn't hear anything anymore. She checked that he was gone before moving away from the door, sighing.

She had woken up on the couch that morning, Charles' head still on her chest. She had left him there, sneaking to the door, when she heard that someone was knocking. She had found herself in front of Carlos, who wanted to have breakfast with her. She had declined the offer and he had gotten upset. She had never seen him like that and honestly, he scared her.

She walked back to the living room, rubbing her eyes. She found Charles half asleep, sitting on the couch and looking around confused.

"Good morning" she said.

"Good morning" he replied, rubbing his right eye, his voice deep. She shivered. "Who was that at the door?"

"Carlos" she said. "Such a dickhead. I wasn't expecting all this. I'm sorry I woke you up"

"It's okay. I would've gotten up anyway I think" 

"Want some breakfast?"

"Sure" he shrugged, getting up from the couch and following her to the kitchen. She started making coffee as he sat on one of the footstools. They didn't talk, but it didn't feel awkward. It was a comfortable silence. She served the coffee and handed a cup to Charles, then walked to the pantry. 

"I have nothing" she laughed. He looked at her smiling.

"It's okay, we can grab breakfast out together" he said. "Please. As a thank you for last night"

"Okay" she said nodding. She walked to her bedroom to change clothes but stopped on the door for a second. "There's a bathroom in there" she pointed for Charles. "Help yourself with what you need, call if there's something else" she smiled, before closing the door behind her. 

Something felt different. She didn't know what, but something was different. The fact that Charles had gone to her for help and opened up about his feelings had changed the way she saw him. 

She thought he was a cocky person, who didn't care for anyone. Then he helped her when she needed help, and talked to her about himself and his feelings - something she felt he didn't do often. He was ready to respect her feelings and stay away from the friend group he used to hang out with not to make her upset or uncomfortable. That wasn't something that many others would've done. 

She wasn't sure how to feel about it. Obviously at that point she was the hostile one. Of course in the past they had their reciprocate disagreements, but now? Maybe she should've just dropped the attitude. Though it felt weird that he cared so much. She had been mean to him, and he just decided to drop the mean facade and be gentle. She smiled to herself, thinking about how they had just fallen asleep in each other's arms.