chapter three

"Your addiction to coffee is not healthy, you know that right?" Max said, walking from the Redbull garage.

"Maxie hey! My 'addiction' is totally under control" she said, lightly pouting. He quickly hugged her, then looked at her seriously.

"How many cups have you had today?"

"None" she replied shortly - it was pretty clear that was a lie.

"Plus?" he insisted.

"...Five, but this is better!" she tried to defend herself.

"You're trying to tell me that the McLaren motorhome coffee is better than the five-star-hotel-you're-staying-at coffee?" he asked raising an eyebrow.

"Okay, no,  but still. I know how many I drank, therefore it's under control" she joked.

"We have very different ideas of what 'under control' means." he replied.

"Possibly" she said, looking at him in the eyes and taking another sip of coffee.

"You're unbelievable" he said, causing them both to laugh. 

It had always been easy with Max, probably because they bonded over their trauma and had the same coping mechanisms. It was weird, having someone who understood everything she'd gone through. Lando was great, and Daniel, and Carlos, but they had a different life. Not that it was a bad thing, she was glad they didn't have to go through emotional neglect and abuse. But when she had 'episodes' or panic attacks or whatever she had going on, and they tried to make it better, it didn't work. They tried their best, and she knew it and was grateful for it. But Max got it like no one else did. And he knew how to stop her mind when it was working too fast; same with the other way around. They could call each other in the middle of the night and the other would immediately answer. No questions needed. He was her safe place.

"Are you okay?" Max asked. She definitely got lost in her thoughts, judging by the look on his face.

"Yes, sorry. I'm just happy to be here" she smiled. "Are Kelly and P going to come this weekend?" she then asked. Max nodded.

"Yes, they should get here on Sunday" he said. "You can spend some time with them maybe. They miss you a lot"

"I miss them too" she said sincerely. She hadn't seen them in ages, with all that she had going on she couldn't hang out with anyone as much as she would've liked to. That was pretty shitty. 

Half an hour later Daniel called Max, since they had their media duties to attend, so Alya was left alone on the paddock. She didn't know her way around that well, but she knew that soon enough the cameras would've moved towards the garages and motorhomes, so she had to leave. 

She started walking towards a less exposed corner, looking at her phone. Not noticing the bump on the ground she obviously tripped, but before she could hit the ground someone grabbed her. Her breath got caught in her lungs when she turned around, founding herself in front of two green eyes. 

Charles Leclerc. 

Of course it had to be him. The guy she used to have a crush on and to whom she never actually talked - they had met before, of course, and had light conversations, but never got to know each other - , he had to be the one to save her wattpad-style. She was about to thank him, but he interrupted her with - in Alya's opinion - the cockiest, most arrogant catch phrase he could have ever chosen. 

"Woah there, it's a bit early to fall for me, don't you think? Let me take you on a date first" He said, with a cheeky smile. 

You know when you have a crush and you think about many different scenarios with them, and you end up idealizing their person? And then you actually talk and you realize that it was never like you imagined, because in your mind they were now a fantasy you created? Exactly what happened to her in that exact moment. 

She pushed him away. "What was that?" she asked, puzzled.

"What was what?" he asked in return, a confused expression on his face.

"That" she repeated, pointing at him from head to toe. "Everything that just happened. What the hell did you just say?"

"I don't know, some catch phrase" he shrugged. "You're pretty and I wanted to ask you out in an original way. Anyone would've loved it" He puntualized. 

"What kind of people have you met? Let me tell you, that was pretty shit" she said. 

"So you're just going to play hard to get? Okay, I can work with that" he said. "I thought fans were easier to talk to, but alright"

"I'm sorry, did you just say fans? Charles, we've met before." she said, now pretty offended. Okay, she hadn't been on the paddock for a while, but she hadn't changed that much. She had hung out with him before, they even exchanged a few words over a drink or two at Lando's house. Was she that forgettable? She didn't expect him to remember her name but, I don't know, finding her familiar at least?

"We have?" he asked surprised. "I mean, yes, we have, of course" he mumbled when he saw Alya's face.

"Whatever, you just don't remember" she said, realizing that he hadn't recognised her at all.

"Is this a way to confuse me to have my number or..?" he asked, scratching the back of his had.

"It isn't, oh my god! Could you be more arrogant?" she said. "I'm Alya, Lando's friend" and then, seeing his confused look "I've come to many races, I've hung out with all of you for his first podium."

"Alya! Of course I remember, sorry, how are you? I haven't seen you in...month- yeaars?" he tried.

"Whatever" she said, rolling her eyes. She really hoped he would have at least a vague idea of who she was. But, oh well, it didn't go as she hoped. "Does that shitty pick up line really work?" she tried to change the subject.

"I wanted to find out today, but I'd say it's not working too well. Unless you want to go on a date with me of course" he answered. 

"I really, really don't" she said. 

"Oh well, okay then. Do you want an autograph or a picture?" he then asked. 

Unbelievable. She just told him - well kind of told him - that she wasn't just some random fan, and he kept treating her as such. She scoffed.

"No, I don't. Have a nice day" she said, walking away.

Had he always been this cocky and she just didn't notice? Or did he just get this bad over the years? Either way, she decided that Charles Leclerc was now on her black list. 

Was she being childish?  Probably, yes. But she had lived in a household that didn't consider her for years, and now she wanted to be anything but forgettable. 

Yes, she was playing the trauma card and no, she wasn't regretting the decision.