chapter thirteen

"He did what?" laughed Max. He and Alya were at his apartment, gossiping. She was just telling him about the sneaky way Lando had found to make her and Carlos talk. 

"And with Charles' help! What was he thinking? Okay, it worked. But still, what the hell?" she giggled.

"You didn't argue with Charles this time" he said. "Are you two becoming finally friends?"

"Absolutely not" she scoffed. "I just can't handle being mean all the time. He's insufferable" she said, taking a sip of coffee.

"Maybe" he replied. "But is he that bad?"

"Yeah...Max why are you asking?"

"No reason" he shrugged. "It's just...I mean, he helped you" she looked at him confused. "You have to admit, you were doing pretty shitty the last few days. Then he started texting and calling you and - maybe by distracting you or annoying you, I don't know - you started sounding better. You've been no contact with Carlos for almost two weeks. I thought maybe you two had gotten a bit closer, that's all"

Had they grown closer? They had talked more, that's for sure. But it was mostly Charles texting her and asking if she was alive - there wasn't much on her side. She would just answer to be polite, though he was insisting and she couldn't stand him. But she hadn't blocked him. Maybe, after all, his being insistent had somehow helped her. 

She never would've admitted it. "Nah, he's just annoying" she said in fact. Max shook his head at her stubborness. He saw the obvious change in her mood when Charles had started texting her. She was expecting at least a message a day from him.

Two days before they were on facetime, and he saw her live reaction to receiving that text. She had smiled so purely and she seemed almost relieved that she had gotten it. So he didn't believe her when she said she didn't feel anything different. Maybe she couldn't see it, but she was definitely starting to. 

They hung out for a few hours together, then they got ready at Max's apartment to go out with the others. They were going on Charles' yacht - Alya, Max, Charles, Carlos, Lando, Pierre and Daniel. It was a sort of party to celebrate the end of the first half of the season and summer break, other than to spend time together. 

Alya wasn't too happy about the fact they would've gone out in the sea, especially so late at night. But the idea of being there with all the others was enough to calm her nerves. 

She had brought with her a red bikini, a pair of jean shorts and a baggy shirt to cover up. Max was wearing a Redbull costume - that man was always wearing Redbull merch somehow - and a white shirt. They left the house around six, since they wanted to catch up on time for the sunset. 

When they got there, everyone was waiting for them. Max got on the boat first, then Charles walked towards her and offered her a hand to get on. She looked at him, then just passed him on her own and took place next to Daniel.

"Shoes!" Charles said, hiding a smirk.

"Yeah yeah they're off" she said, holding back a smile. And after that, Charles started driving the boat away from the coast.

They sat down all together at the front of the boat, chatting and drinking beer all together, enjoying the moment and taking in the colors of the sunset. It was beautiful that day, the sun still warm on the skin and the breeze leaving light chills behind. 

"So, have you found an apartment yet?" Daniel asked. Everyone looked at Alya.

"No, not yet. There are some gorgeous houses, but I don't like their placement. I would like to find one half way between the beaches and the centre of the city" she said.

"You could look in my building" Daniel replied.

"Well, it would be cool" she said. "Let me know if a spot opens up" she winked, giggling.

"Actually, there is one" he said. "Two floors down from my flat"

"Wait, fo real?" she was shocked.

"Yeah"

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"Yes?"

"Wanna take a look with me?"

"Hell yeah!"

"You two know we're still here, right?" Lando said, making everyone laugh. Her and Daniel settled for meeting up at lunch time the next day to take a look at the apartment, then they changed subject and talked about races, cars, music, movies and anything that came to mind.

Around nine they all started jumping in the water. "Are you coming?" Charles asked. She shook her head.

"Charles, you jumping?" they heard Carlos yell from beneath them.

"Yeah one moment!" he yelled back. "You okay?" he then asked Alya.

"Yep" she said. "I'm just not very fond of the sea" she smiled. He smiled back, then placed a hand on her arm.

"Okay, if you need anything yell at us" he smirked, then jumped off the boat.

She stayed still, feeling the warmth his hand had left behind. She wasn't sure how to take that offer. Was it just to be polite or did he actually mean it? And what was up with the touching? She was a bit puzzled. Also, why did she like the contact? Didn't she despise him?

She shook her head. Of course she did. He was just trying to be polite because they were in group, and they had agreed to coexist without ripping each others heads off. It was just politeness, and she just wasn't used to him being like that. She picked up her camera, filming them for a bit, then got on her phone and killed the time by scrolling on social medias - luckily they weren't too far from the coast, and the signal still got to her phone. 

A bit later they got back on the boat, and went to the front to dry off. Carlos took her hand, and guided her in the opposite direction.

"Would you hate the idea of putting your feet in the water? It's a bit chilly but it's nice" he smiled, sitting on the edge of the back of the boat and offering her a hand. She thought about it for a second, then accepted it and sat beside him.

"I don't hate the idea, but I'm still afraid" she said. "Aren't sharks the more active at night?"

"I'm here, don't worry" he smiled. She sat in the same position he was in, feet in the water and hands behind her to lean back. They smiled at each other, enjoying the silence. 

A few meters behind them, Charles was looking at them. 

"Ça va mon pote?" [You okay there mate?] Pierre asked him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Ouais, bien sûr" [Yeah, of course] he scoffed. "Pensez-vous qu'il est nécessaire qu'ils soient si proches l'un de l'autre?" [Do you think it's necessary for them to be so close to each other?] he then asked, tilting his head and analyzing the situation. Pierre laughed at him.

"Êtes-vous jaloux?" [Are you jealous?] he asked, still smiling.

"Quoi? Non bien sûr que non" [What? No, of course not] he answered. "Je ne vois tout simplement pas la nécessité de s'asseoir si près" [I just don't see the necessity to sit so close] 

"Sûr" [Sure] Pierre said. Then he patted his best friend's back, turning around to go to the others. Charles stood there for a few more minutes.

Was he? Jealous? He didn't think so. He was the one that made them make up, he wouldn't have done it if he didn't want it to happen. He wasn't jealous. Even though, the way Carlos' hand was moving closer to hers was getting on his nerves...

"Hey, guys!" he called them. "Are you coming?" 

Carlos quickly pulled away his hand and looked back, then watched as Alya rose from her position and smiled at him, walking back towards the others. He noticed - with not little pleasure - the she was taking the stairs on the opposite side from were Charles was standing. He smiled to himself as he followed her.

Charles looked at them, then looked at Pierre. Maybe, just a little bit, there was some jealousy after all.