Twelve : Can I?

Lucas Perspective :

First love sucks.

That's what I always thought every time I saw Athanasia around. Showing that smile of hers that would brighten the whole room, especially my mood. All of the negative thoughts would just vanish as if it were never there. And everyone's smiling back at her, giving her the warm treatment that she deserves. Because who wouldn't?

But I was a brat. And I blame myself for being one.

.

.

"MOM!!"

Fourteen years ago, when we were five. I found a new friend. And that was Athanasia.

A child with long wavy golden hair and captivating blue eyes that reflects the blue sky. She was shy at first, a child who knows nothing but hides behind her parents' back with her little stupid doll. Our parents had already set us up to be childhood lovers since birth, but I first met her when we we're five when our families brought us on a vacation. And it was on a beach.

I've never really used to going out growing up, I always stay within my parents' reach. But as a child, I'm very weak with crowds. I was a coward back then, all shaky and would always hide behind my mommy. I couldn't even joke about it. Me having fear of people was a serious thing that I would isolate myself for a week right after a day of showing myself up in front of everyone.

At first, it made my parents worry. They even called out a doctor to help me with my situation but it didn't help me at all. Forcing your kid who has big anxiety to talk with an adult who he don't know in his life is a bad thing to do if you wanted to help. It only made me feel worse.

So taking me to a beach was a no-no at all. My mood turned sour immediately as soon as we arrived, and it did not get any better when I met Athanasia. And what did I do?

I threw her doll to the ocean.

Don't get me wrong, Athanasia never did anything. I just needed someone or something to vent my anger to and her doll was just the thing that caught my eye and without any hesitation, when she showed her doll to me with her stupid smile, I grabbed it and there the doll as far as I could which it ended up in the ocean.

Then she called her mom.

Athanasia still couldn't utter a full sentence that time so all she could do was whine to her parents. What surprised me is that she didn't cry. But she did whine. A lot. But thankfully for that I wasn't got found out that I was the culprit and hey, her father got her doll out of the water. No worries. No violence was attempted and no one died. Especially the doll.

Well, that was our first meeting together. My first impression was not what I have expected.

But that soon changed in a flash just an hour after.

"My! Aren't you a cute boy!"

I looked up, a woman came towards me, grinning from ear to ear as I was walking back from buying ice cream. I felt guilty of what I have done that I decided to buy Athanasia ice cream as an apology, maybe this way we could be really friends. I don't know how to deal with a broken heart but at least I could try.

I didn't utter a word when I met the woman's eyes, afraid to say something. Just as soon as she was in front of me, everything in my mind went blank.

All I could hear was the heavy sounds of my breathing and the ringing noise echoing in my mind. My heart was beating loudly that I could hear it myself. Though despite having to start a panic attack, my face didn't change, it remained looking so empty, not a care of the world around me. Though my body couldn't move no matter how much I wanted to run or at least shove the ice cream that was starting to melt onto the woman's face that was somehow getting closer to mine.