Thirteen : New Kind of Silence

Athanasia's perspective :

"I… I love you…"

Silence.

My eyes widened out of sheer surprise. I was taken aback at the words that slipped off Lucas' mouth, my ears twitched as those kept running in my mind like infinite echoes of a dark cave. And I couldn't utter a word. My expression of worry dissipated and was replaced with shock and disbelief as my hand that held his, slowly loses its strength to hold back.

"Lucas…" I choked out, finally finding my voice in the midst of the heavy silence. Though that's what's left in my mind, calling out to his name to at least wake him back up to reality to look up and meet my eyes to see the sincerity that lingers behind them, just to make sure that those words meant anything. And by mean anything, that if he really does mean it.

Lucas managed to blink, finally realizing the situation he's in as if he woke up from a deep slumber. His eyes widened in surprise, stuttering to look up and face me. And as slowly, his eyes wandered, he met mine.

What surprised me was that his cheeks turned red just as when he stared into my eyes for a short moment. A rush of embarrassment was written on his face, realizing the words that had put us into an awkward situation, sharing the tension that wrapped us tightly for us to escape from it.

My eyes widened again, almost taking a step back as I stared back at him. A sign of confirmation about his feelings towards me, a sign that needed no more questions for. I have already confirmed everything. That those three words were not only things that shook my heart but also a trigger to a new beginning that might take everything downhill.

Before I could even utter another word, finding the strength to reach back to hold his hand, Lucas immediately moved away, as if it was an instinct that resides in him. The shock on his face remained and the red hue on his skin was still there. I flinched when he took a step back away from me, surprised. Just when I was about to attempt to touch him again, Lucas didn't hesitate to run away by going back to his room and locked it to keep me from following him.

I was left under the porch of the cabin, the familiar silence remained and the awkward tension accompanied me under the cold night, acting as a blanket for warmth from Lucas' actions.

The night… felt empty…

.

.

.

The day came when we finally got to go home from the trip. The remaining time after that talk with Lucas went by in flash, feeling no point of remembering nor putting any words to it. Lucas continued to ignore me as if I was some annoying pest in his eyes. I can't help but become more worried for him but then at the same time, I just also wanted to ignore him. I'm still in shock from the sudden confession he gave me, making me want for space to gather my thoughts about it.

I began to question whether I'd just ignore his confession or confront it myself. I was standing in a place that either one could lead me to a possible future that will change everything, especially what I had with Lucas.

I suddenly felt afraid.

This has become the major problem for myself as this was something that I did not expect from him at all. I wouldn't even dare to think that he would come to fall for me—when did this even start?

Those thoughts continue to drown my mind throughout the trip that I never realized that the fun moments have already ended. I find myself standing at the door that leads to Lucas' room. With my bags in hand, I took a deep breath before taking a knock. My heart thumps loudly against my ribcage, the feeling of nervousness and fear begins to claw my heart.