Fifteen : Axel's Investigation

Something is weird.

Ever since that party, I noticed how my buddy Lucas and his girlfriend are acting different. I don't know, it doesn't feel like there is a spark between them, you know? Like at least a flicker, there's nothing.

And here I am, standing in front of the gate of my best friend's new place right after I stalked him after school! I am going to find the answer to this weird feeling tugging in my chest and I will not give up until I can't solve it!

Call me, Detective Axel!!

"What are you doing?"

I blinked, all of my genius plans were blown away in the wind as I heard the most beautiful voice that I ever heard. Turning my head, I met Maea's eyes as she walked towards me with a lollipop in her mouth. Lazy as ever, she stared back at me with a frown. "Hello?" She called, snapping her fingers at me, pulling me out of my daydreams.

"Ah," I jumped. "What... what did you say?" If I could bury myself in a hole after stuttering in front of my crush, I could have done it right now.

As Maea is one of the girls that any normal guy would say that she's different based on the way she dress, she was the first one to capture my heart. Yes, she may be rude and cold towards almost everyone, but the moment she would offer her warmth to you, it would be as tranquil as your heart desired of home. She may be a goth, wearing all black and weird makeup, but she is not afraid to show what beauty she has. Moreover, Maea is a gem, a gem that is rough on the edges but still shines despite the darkness.

Oof, what am I thinking??? This is a story about my bestie, Lucas, I cannot afford to steal his spotlight HOHOHOHOHOHO!!

"Are you deaf?" Maea raised a brow, tilting her head as she pulled out her candy, pointing it at me. "I said that what are you doing standing in front of my brother's house?" She repeated.

"Oh!" I laughed, scratching my nape. "I mean, is it wrong to visit Lucas? We're good buddies!" I reasoned, spreading my chest out with such pride as I confidently speak up my good relationship with Lucster. "And also..." I cleared my throat before leaning close to whisper in Maea's ear. "I have been suspecting something from him..."

Maea suddenly looked intrigued. "Acting all smart now," She teased, a scoff came out of her lips. "Well, then... Indulge me, whatever it is that your suspecting from my brother, I might know something."

"May!!" I gasped, if I could have a mirror right now, I could see my eyes sparkling in such gratitude as I see Maea in a cool light. "That's why I like you!!" I tried to jump on her to give her the best hug that he's deserves but she immediately dodged it, causing me to fall on the ground. "That's mean!!" I whined.

"Not my fault." She huffed. She didn't even bother to help me out.

"Now, there goes the normal May," I grumbled, rolling my eyes. I then earned a glare from Maea, pulling me to a stop from getting up from kissing the ground. "Why are you even calling me by that nickname...?" I heard her mutter as she looked away, popping her lollipop back in her mouth. "It's not even the correct way to pronounce!" She then gave me a good kick on the foot, causing me to yell in pain, jumping away from her.

"OW!!" I exclaimed, almost crying. "That hurts, why did you do that?!!"

Maea huffed at me then walked away, casually walking in the house of her brother. "You deserve it," I heard her say.

I began to question everything that I have done to her to deserve this pain but then I didn't have much time to give myself a flashback when Marah was already at the door. "Are you sure that it's a good thing to just barge into people's houses?" My question made Maea scoff as if she finds my words funny, while here I am getting a bit worried of the consequences that will come to us.