Chapter 17

Dick and Sam exited the pharmacy and Sam sat next to Chad on the bench.

She awkwardly smiled at the sick man and, unexpectedly, he smiled back. 

"How's your date going to work, sweet?" Chad asked her. 

"Well... the lads wanted to have drinks at Kappa Maki, and Jill invited me and Andy to join so she wouldn't be the only girl" said Sam.

"But I already had a date planned for Sam, so we switched it to that place" said Dick.

Chad's smile dropped when he heard the name of the restaurant.

"Sam, Kappa Maki is a Japanese place. At least tell me you're not sitting at a hibachi table" said Chad.

"Actually... we are" said Sam.

"But it's okay because the place is local. And Kristen knows not to touch hot surfaces, right?" said Dick.

"Meg and I have been training her on that, and she's been doing well" said Chad.

"Terrific! Then you'll trust us" said Sam.

Chad hesitated.

"Please, Chad. Sam's the only Warrior that hasn't gotten a chance" said Dick.

Chad looked at Kristen, then coughed. 

Then he looked at Sam and softened a little. "Very well. But please please look after her. It's bad enough Calvin got Idina arrested and Charles fed Kristen a marker."

"I got Idina arrested? I don't even know how my car turned back on" said Calvin.

"You still didn't think before leaving her" Chad snapped.

Then he regretted being so strong as his stomach sent another shot of sharp pain. 

"And I didn't even give Kristen the marker. Petrie did" said Charles Wallace.

"But you could have kept her from eating it" said Chad.

"Chad..." Charles Wallace began.

"Calm down, buddy. He's sick and he can't think straight. If Kristen behaves at Kappa Maki, we'll probably be friends again" said Sam.

Chad shifted his gaze downward and handed the girl his remaining daughter. 

"Calvin?" 

"Yes, Chad?"

"While Dick and Sam are out, would you take me to see Idina?" said Chad.

"You wanna see your baby in a cell?" said Calvin.

"I just want to see her. It would cheer me up" said Chad.

"Alright. But not for too long, because you have to stay in bed" said Calvin.

Chad nodded and joined Calvin in his beat-up car. 

"I can't believe you let her drive" said Chad.

"It's not my fault! I didn't even unbuckle her seatbelt!" Calvin snapped in frustration.