stu(dying) (4)

"She's busy. She's hanging out with me today."

You feel a cap being placed on your head and a tug against the hood of your sweater, feeling it being put over your head. You whip your head around to find Scaramouche tilting his head as he wore his usual neutral expression. "You didn't forget our plans did you, munchkin?" he asked, glancing at Kazuha momentarily.

"What the fuck did you just call me? Anyway, no I didn't forget. How could the most tedious part of my day completely slip my mind, I've been dreading this," you snap back, crossing your arms as you glare at him. "Like I was saying, I'm really sorry but I can't make it today. Can we take a rain check?" you turn to Kazuha and ask, your tone softening from the irritated one you used on Scaramouche as you did so.

"Wow, you're even taking students now? I'll leave you two be. Text me when you get home, munchkin." he gave a slight wave before heading off.

"He just stole my nickname for you."

"Oh please, it's a terrible nickname, do not call me that again..."

"No, it's amusing. Just shut up and start teaching..." he says coldly as you both sit down at the open study area and he takes his calculus materials out. You take his textbook from across the table to flip to the page you want. The pages of the book reluctantly peel away from each other, the god-awful sound of an unopened book resounding.

"Have you never opened this?" you asked Scaramouche, your eyes widened as if taking offence on behalf of the textbook. "Well, why would I?" Your jaw drops even further at his nonchalant response.

"Alright alright. I'm sorry, nerd. Just teach or something..."

"Fine...Today we'll just start on the basics, like all the formulas you need to progress for this chapter. I was thinking we could build the foundation of the topics now and then only revise last year's topics closer to finals. We should focus more on skills rather than time management, we can't afford to waste time training your speed. For now, let's start with differentiation..." you explain to him. Scaramouche nods, determined.

For the next 2 hours, you two sat at the small table running through different formulas and skills. "What the actual fuck..." Scaramouche sighs as he buries his face in his hands and pushes his hair back. "Stop complaining, this is the price of falling asleep in class," you retort as you watch him wallow in frustration.

"C'mon, you're actually doing well. You've done a lot of practice questions in the past few hours, and you got like 90% of them right," you try to encourage your student.

"Yeah, but that's cos you were helping me this whole time,"

"Is that not the whole goddamn point?"

Scaramouche glares at you in annoyance. "2 more questions, then we can go, but you do those by yourself, if not, we are not leaving. The longer you take, the longer we're stuck here," you sigh as you crack your knuckles. Scaramouche grumbles in reluctance but he still picks up his pen again and got to work on his last couple of problem sums, of which he was done in no time.

"See? You can do it. We've progressed a lot today actually, you should be proud of yourself." you mentioned as you start to pack up your things to head off. "I never said I wasn't. I was just sick of doing so much work," he groaned, walking beside you as you both walked out of the school.It was already close to 9, the sky pitch dark, left with only the pathetic streetlamps to give shadow to shapes. "Are you going this way as well?" you ask him. You stay relatively close to the school so walking was never an issue for you, you had just never seen Scaramouche take the same route.

"Uhh, yeah. I live a little farther down though so I'll walk with you."

"Hmmm..." you hum in response, your tired mind unable to give a better answer.

"Are you sleepy?" he asks, his hands in his pockets and his eyes straight, "What time did you go to bed yesterday?"

"Maybe 2? I had so much homework and then I had to study for my AP chem.."

"That test isn't even gonna show up on your report book, dumbass. Do yourself a favour and take better care of yourself." Upon hearing his somewhat kind words, you turn your face to look at him. "Ya worried about me?"

"It'll get in the way of your teaching," he says matter-of-factly, but it was hard to pretend you did not notice the tinge of pink on his ears. After another few minutes of awkward conversation nulled  by banter here and there, you arrive back at your place. "Hey, t-thanks for...your help today," Scaramouche tugs at his collar, embarrassed by his own uncharacteristic display of gratitude. "Oh, yeah of course. I told you I'd hold up my end of the deal...Thanks for walking me home, even though you are going the same way. It just...felt better..."

"Go inside, I have places to be..."

"Of course you do. You're as much as a no-lifer as me, don't kid yourself." You wave goodbye to the purple-haired boy who waits until you walk inside. You softly close the door, thinking to yourself about today's events and instinctively turn your head to peer out the window by the door. There stood Scaramouche who had already turned to leave, but in the direction you were coming from.

"He should've just gone home then..."

fun fact:

- Scaramouche literally lives an hour bus ride from the school...in the opposite direction