you on my mind (6)

The whole day. Or half the day. Like a movie scene. His unsteady smile, his frustrated words. Every second through all your classes you thought about how Scaramouche was doing on his test. You tried to push those thoughts back, sought even to extinguish them, but his absence only fueled your curiosity and worry like oxygen over a flame.

"You alright? Your frog's been lying half open for the past five minutes..." a calm and clear voice stirred you back to your bearings as your eyes shifted towards your table partner. Your own eyes met her cool lilac ones that were painted with the slightest hues of champagne pink and ocean blue, a calming sight for your unsettled mind. Right. You were in Biology, focus. "Thanks, Kokomi...Sorry, just got a lot on my mind." Kokomi was a soft-spoken soul with a strong moral compass, a close friend of yours actually, having been the secretary of the Student Council. Everyone else seemed to have already moved on to the next part of the experiment and were already seated with their microscopes and flower specimens. You mentally clicked your tongue in annoyance. God, what am I even doing thinking about that jerk while I'm so busy...

However, you could not deny your worried state of mind. It came like an electrical storm in your brain that, quite honestly, was painful. You guessed this was what it was like for a teacher to be concerned for her student.

"Alright class, we don't have time to complete the experiments today so go ahead and finish your labelled drawings at home! Due tomorrow...please..." your teacher's twangy voice struck your eardrums and awoke you from your umpteenth daze.

"Ya falling behind?" you hear a whisper in your ear only to find your Vice-President, smiling softly at you as he held a begonia specimen in his hand. "Y'know, begonias symbolise deep thinking, quite fitting for our worrier over here, no?" Kazuha keeps his eyes on you as your stressed out look dissipates into one of amusement. He had always known the right things to say, perhaps it was a trait of his you had envied. His soothing voice along with his poetic way of words, puts your sharp tongue and awkward words to shame. "Just got a lot going on...You always worry too much about me, if you can't get me outta your mind you can just say so!" you shrug playfully as you sweep your negative thoughts to the back of your mind. It was probably best to worry about them less anyway. "Wow, I guess I'll stop, since you're sooo sick of me."

Kazuha slows his pace a little, letting himself fall behind as he swiftly tucked the begonia into your hair tie. His fingers untangled themselves from your (h/c) locks, "There you go...Now when you go home and cry, you'll look gorgeous."

"You know me too well..." you smirk cheekily at Kazuha as the two of you exit the classroom. Just then, you jump a little as you almost go crashing into a familiar boy. Your breath hitched, caught in your web of relief as your eyes met his. God, finally.

"I'll catch up with you later, Kaedehara!" you called to the white haired male behind you as you walked with Scaramouche. You felt a gentle grip tug against the sleeve of your sweater as your body is being pulled into an empty classroom. The boy took a seat on one of the tables, pulling you along with him such that you stood right in front of him. His gentle and slender fingers brush against yours as he lets his arm fall back to his side. His eyes shifted to meet yours. The cold blue of ice and scalding red of blood spun an indigo that swam beautifully around his pupils. "You took an awful long time to get out."

"Since when do you come to wait for me after class?"

"Why can't I?"

"No reason. Anyway, that's not important, how was your test?" you ask, your tone begging for a positive response. "It was...pretty alright." he says, a neutral expression on his face. No frown, no scowl, just his lifted eyebrows and his slightly parted lips. "Really?" you can no longer stop the corners of your mouth from curling upward. Pride, relief, happiness. Whatever it was it overcame every nerve in your body as you let out a sigh of relief.

"I knew you could do it! Diffidence doesn't suit you, just one study session and you already managed to improve so much!" you beamed at him. (*diffidence - basically lack of self-confidence.)

His once wavered confidence had returned much stronger as his eyes traced you who was clapping softly for him. Rose petals dug their way just under his skin to give a charming splash of pink to his cheeks as the left corner of his smile lifted itself. Maybe you were too caught up in your own world talking incessantly about your joint accomplishment, but for the first time in a long while, he was proud of himself, and it didn't help that someone else was right beside him, celebrating his small little success.

"You don't know I did well, I could've screwed up for all we know."

"Yeah so? That's a different story. Point is, you knew stuff, it felt good. It's still a step forward."

His eyes shift to the ground, not used to the blossoming of such unusual feelings within his chest. "I'll take your word for it then."

fun fact:

- during the test, Scaramouche noticed he made a careless mistake and laughed to himself about what you'd look like throwing a fit if he didn't fix it.