confession (8)

"Hydrogenation conditions are: nickel catalyst at 200 degrees Celsius..." you mumble as you try to recall everything that you studied the night before. After yesterday's events, you hardly got a wink of sleep and decided to burn the midnight oil to distract yourself. Of course, to no avail. You were hoping you would not run into Scaramouche today, seeing as you looked like you had just gotten mangled by a pack of raccoons, so much that you even had matching dark circles around your eyes.

A blonde halo of hair, a cheeky smirk on his face. You snapped your eyes to the ground, trying your damn best to avoid any interaction with him. God, not him. Not today. You had enough on your plate. Takashi made eye contact with you, sending shivers down your spine as you tried to make your escape.

However, an arm around your neck interrupted your attempted getaway. "Keep your head up and walk. He won't try to pester you if you're with your 'boyfriend' will he?" Scaramouche said lowly. His fingers brushed past your ear as he tried to pull loose strands of hair out of your face.

"I guess so. I just didn't know you were coming to save me." you lifted your head to find Takashi now glaring at Scaramouche as he turned the corner and disappeared. "I'm supposed to. It's part of our deal." he says matter-of-factly. You supposed it was a worthy investment to have collaborated with this guy. "What's with the glasses?" he asked you, his eyes wandering along the frame of your specs, taking in how it looked seated on your nose.

"Can't I wear it? It makes me feel a little smarter, organic chem really isn't my topic..." you explain, your focus shifting back to your chemistry notes to try and cram whatever you could before your test. "For such a smart girl you sure have the most warped thinking. Should I get a pair of glasses then?"

"No. It's all about the mindset. The glasses don't make you smarter, you just feel smarter so you have more confidence. Since you so distastefully said it was a ridiculous thought then obviously it wouldn't work for you."

"What the fuck are you saying?"

"Shushushush. Whatever floats my boat, yeah?" you lift a finger and frown at him, who scoffed lightly at your bizarre words. "Got it. Whatever floats your boat," he rolls his eyes. At that moment he remembered something. A tinge of red infused itself within his cheeks as he thought about whatever it was he remembered, quite a charming sight. "Ah- For...you" he mumbles as he takes out a small piece of candy from his jacket pocket.

It was dark chocolate, more infamously known for its ability to boost cognitive functions. It was a little smushed and was probably pretty melted. You could feel your face heat up, with that fluttery, warm feeling that crept around your skin.

"It's not that I don't like you...We just haven't known each other that long and-"

"Who the hell is confessing to you god damn it. It's brain food, genius. Seeing as you're so high up in the sky you need a little something like that to give you a reality check, dumbass." he glared at you before rolling his eyes and shoving the chocolate into your hands. Your eyes wander to the chocolate and you smile quite a bit, you really couldn't help it. "Thanks..." you manage.

His fingers gripped onto the frame of your glasses and gently tugged it away from your face, putting them on. "Lose the glasses, you don't need it," he said softly, just enough for you to hear as the throngs of students scurry to their classes. Your eyes were glued to him as he adjusted the glasses on his own face, before he glanced back at you who quickly started staring at the ground. "Ah by the way, I'm getting my calculus paper back today..." You shift your gaze back to Scaramouche, noticing how your glasses were now perched precariously on his nose. The lenses blurred his indigo irises but deepened them at the same time. "Oh yeah I completely forgot...You worried?"

"No," he scoffed, seemingly offended that you would even think that for a second. His reaction brought a slight smile to your face.

"Let's go out after school. You owe me ice cream..."

"No, you owe me an ice cream...And we can talk about that later. For now...Good luck on that paper yeah? Most of your class are probably incompetent halfwits anyway so I'm sure you'll rank high enough..." he mumbled the last bits, a stroke of red on his ears as he looked away.

"So your way of complimenting me is by bringing everyone else down?" you tease him.

"Honestly, you should be lucky I even said anything."

It was better for you two this way, where Scaramouche was 'back to normal' so to speak, and that smooth-talking asshole from yesterday was long gone. The banter and cheeky comments were much appreciated by both parties, and you wouldn't have to worry about hiding any surfacing emotions that might give you away. You must have been caught in a momentary daze because Scaramouche decided to speak up this time.

"Hey. For real. All the best, pretty girl." he said as he walked in the opposite direction, leaving you in your flustered mess. Looking to your left you found your class was right next to you, while the boy who was confidently striding away was yet again having to walk all the way to his class.

What the hell was happening?

fun fact: scaramouche stayed up all night tasting all types of chocolates he bought to find one that didn't taste like feet. (he doesn't like sweet stuff)

hey guys! so sorry i didn't manage to update last week it was my sister's birthday so i was like super busy...i'll upload chapter 9 today as well to make up for it (;′⌒') thanks for reading!