winner (9)

Right as you stepped into your classroom, you popped the small bit of chocolate into your mouth, liking how the bitterness of the dark chocolate rested on your tongue and melted into its sweet velvet. You took your seat smack in the middle of the class awkwardly, feeling as though the light drag of your chair against the concrete was a deafening screech.

Without a moment to breathe, the test started. The words weren't a blank to you but your brain was a little bit distracted from whatever had happened just a few minutes prior, allowing your mind to wander as you write. Your fingers went numb as they gripped your pen, the back of your mind watching as they turned white. In the cool of the classroom you spilled out the concepts which you had drunk in yesterday. It was a fun mental exercise.

As you submit your paper to the teacher and walk out of class, you could feel your heart relax its beating into a steady pulse.

You did not have any classes with Scaramouche on Thursday, which only built up your eagerness to find him after school. Even during break, as you were seated at your usual table with your friends, you couldn't wait for school to end, rather uncharacteristic of someone who usually loves the Thursday timetable. You were grateful, at least, that your friends were distracting you from your thoughts by talking incessantly.

After school, as you were walking out of the school gates to look for Scaramouche, you jumped a little as you saw a sheet of paper drape right in front of your eyes. You blinked a couple times to pull the contents into focus. That terrible handwriting was a dead giveaway.

Seventeen...over...thirty...

"Holy shit you got 17/30!!" you screamed as you whipped your head around to find your smirking purple haired boy. "You win this one..." You threw your fists in the air, looking at the sighing boy in front of you. "I knew it! I'm too good..." you scoff as you walk forward, nose in the air. He scoffed at your childish behaviour and walked to your side.

"Let's get your stupid ice cream."

"Mhmm. So how do you feel, genius?"

"Good. I wanna get a higher grade."

"And you will, trust me. After 3 days of work you improved. That's really good, y'know."

He smiled. Just a little bit. His gaze hit the floor as he did so, his cheeks flushing. "Hey, how was the chemistry paper?"

"Oh yeah, I think I did pretty well on my chem test."

"It was because of me. For sure."

"For sure..." you rolled your eyes.

"For sure." he insisted as he sounded playfully offended.

'Fine. Since you did so well, I will put up with your nonsense."

The convenience store was just down a hill, squeezed between two other buildings, the neon letters on the hanging sign flashing on and off like the fuse was about to blow soon. The wired letters were falling apart and almost illegible now. but inside was a lot better than it looked outside. The windows were clean, giving a great view of the snacks and simple necessities displayed on the shelves. The items were all crammed together on the shelves rather than nicely arranged. Posters were carelessly pasted onto the window, with the newest sales and deals scribbled on them. You liked it like that, it gave off a somewhat rustic charm to it. It was already late at night. You looked heavenward to see the tiny lights in the velvet dark that dared to light up the sky.

"Hurry up." the boy beside you spoke as he pushed open the door, earning a chime from the bell above the door. You scurried inside and struggled to slide open the fridge door which was sealed shut with magnets. You dug your hand into the packed freezer and pulled out the ice cream of your choice. You handed it to Scaramouche.

"Expensive taste huh?" he raised his eyebrow at you. "Price of losing." you smirk back. He rolled his eyes as he fished out his cash to pay for it, before handing the little cone of ice cream to you.

"Aww thanks," you mock.

"Shut it."

"Okay I'm sorry." you hang your head as you step out of the store and open your ice cream. Just then you felt a weight drape over your shoulders. It was Scaramouche's jacket. It was already a little toasty from his body heat, and it was intoxicated with his scent. It smelt like everything about him, his shampoo, his cologne or whatever it was.

"You eat ice cream in this weather and expect to not get sick, for a smart girl you sure as hell didn't think that through. Also look at what you're wearing, you didn't even bother to wear your blazer," he chided you as you two walked.

"I don't look good with the blazer. It's chunky so it makes me look like a box. Besides, I don't get cold that easily."

"Then give it back."

He reaches out to pull the jacket off of you but you instantly flinch away, almost dropping your half-opened ice cream in the process. You slip your arms through the sleeves and take a second to soak in the feeling of the worn out cotton on your skin.

"That's my favourite fucking jacket so don't get it dirty."

"I won't, geez..."

"You seem like a messy eater."

"What kind of insult is that?"

"Just shut up and eat."

"Fine. I was gonna offer you some but i guess not..." 

He scoffed at your childish threat, his eyes shifting to watch as you happily ate your ice cream. "You like it?" he asked. You turned your head to face him. "Yeah, it's my favourite...Y-You want some?" your tone softened as you offered, holding the half-eaten cone out. He took a bite out of it, earning a judgemental look from you.

"Ew, you bite your ice cream?"

"You talk like you want your lifespan halved," he threatened you, "besides, why can't I? Does it hurt you? Are you dying? You want my saliva all over your fucking ice cream? Also, I paid for that so I can eat it however I want." Your jaw hung open as you stood still, appalled by his unending flow of verbal abuse. "I'm sorry?" you scoff as you waddle forward to keep up with the salty boy.

"You should be."

hii!! promise was not fulfilled last week i'm so sorry but I tried to make this chapter longer TT. i have exams real soon so I might have to take a few weeks break to focus. hope you can understand. thanks for reading!! :>