focus (7)

The two of you were now seated in the library studying together, as requested by Scaramouche who claims to be unable to study by himself. You were both doing your own thing this time though because you had your AP chem test the next day. It had already been 2 hours since you guys started and the boy beside you was starting to get restless. You on the other hand, had not moved an inch since you started. Your hand ached as your pen scratched against notebooks and workbooks, almost as much as your eyes hurt from incessant reading.

Conjugate-acids, conjugate-bases, Bronsted-Lowry Theory-

"I need help," Scaramouche said softly as he leaned back in his chair. You look up from your workbook and turn your head to face him. Usually you would click your tongue in annoyance that someone that put a halt to your expeditious train of thought, but this time, you did not mind the disturbance. It was like pulling your head out after burying in underwater until you reached your limit. As you looked over at what he was doing, you noticed scraps of torn or crushed paper spilled over his open textbook, some folded into ornate figures. His notebook was in shambles, the art of his ripping lying right on top of its original form. He didn't need help with his homework but rather his childish origami.

"Are you kidding me?" your brows knitted together slightly in hopes that it could conceal the lurking amusement that resided within your mind.

"It's been 2 hours, y/n. Not everyone gets engrossed in their school work like you, bookworm." he says bluntly as he picked up a frog he made and waved it in your face. Your face remained that of an unimpressed one. "I have things to do and so do you...How much time have you wasted on this? Did you even do the work I so carefully picked out and assigned you?"

"No. I didn't know how to do like half of them. Can we focus on what's important?"

The audacity...

"What in the world could be more important than you getting your stupid grades up?"

"Which flower I made looked the best. The Daylily, the Tulip or the Rose?"

The three flowers all seemed a little bit crumpled. It was nothing short of expected when it came to an impatient ball of anger trying to fold intricate designs using a piece of paper.

You shifted your gaze from the 3 paper flowers in his hand to look right at him. Yet again he had that cool and calm look on his face. He never used to wear such a mild *mien. It was always frowning when someone talked to him, or a disgruntled scowl when the teacher awoke him from his classroom nap. A small fraction of yourself wanted to be the reason he had such a change of attitude, to have been responsible for luring such a pretty look out of him. (*mien - a person's appearance or manner, especially as an indication of their character or mood.)

I'm delusional.

"The Daylily. It's cute." you give in and respond. He chuckled lightly, setting the other two down as he looks at the Daylily much closer. "The other 2 look disfigured." you chime as you pick your pen up and try to focus on your work again.

He rolled his eyes, but kept his gaze on you, "It's harder than it looks." He glanced at the pink peeking from your hair, it was rather out of place since you were more often in muted colours. "What's with the flower?"

"Nothing much, my friend gave it to me in Bio..."

"That Kaedehara boy? You cheating on me?" he feigns appalment and glares at you playfully, his jaw dropped slightly in pretend-shock. You snap your head to face him again, "what the hell are you saying? You don't have to play along like that, Takashi isn't here."

"I know. I'm in a good mood." he then reaches over and gently tugs the Begonia out of your hair tie, slipping the paper Daylily into the rubber band that bound your hair and adjusting it so that it sat nicely. You wish you had not blushed so fast, that you had some ability to keep your emotions to yourself. In an instant your cheeks were all rosy and anyone could see your feelings as if you wrote them in little notes and handed them out. To feel his gentle hands brush against your hair, god you were in trouble.

"It suits you better...Pretty girl."

Fuck.

Fun fact:

- Daylilies symbolise flirting so... ;)