The Laurence's neighbour 1/2 🎀

Rebecca and her parents had just moved into their holiday home. All the young Gothic girl's memories were coming flooding back. The garden was still decorated with a few cobwebs and her little collector's dolls. The house was still as beautiful as ever, with its light orange colour. The brown roof, tenacious in the wind, showed autumn leaves. Rebecca ran to the house and hurried through the garden. The smell of watercolours filled her nostrils. She was happy to be there. Everything around the house had not changed: the neighbourhood, the streets and the barely blue sky. Rebecca was a child again. She and her parents took the suitcases upstairs. While they tidied up the house, their daughter began to inspect the premises. Rebecca's bedroom still had an adolescent air, with large cuddly toys and posters of Mr Jack. Meanwhile, Christine was making a shopping list and organising the house. She asked her daughter to accompany her to the supermarket. Without hesitation, Christine agreed.

Picardie was proving to be a majestic place that Rebecca loved, despite her trauma over the supernatural things she had seen as a child. From the car window, the smell of damp leaves filled her nose. In the sky, the clouds traced their usual path. Everything was as she remembered it. But she hated the neighbourhood. People sometimes behaved strangely. They would hide behind their curtains whenever a family came to spend the holidays. Rebecca relived the scenes of her parents' arguments when they were at their second home. They attracted a lot of attention in the neighbourhood and that annoyed Rebecca. But she appreciated these situations, which gave her the opportunity to take refuge in the forest. 

On the way to the supermarket, she was deep in thought. Her mother suspected that something was wrong, but she refused to engage in conversation. Despite her daughter's countless sighs, Christine preferred to wait for a direct, concrete answer; she didn't like playing guessing games.

"Mum, I've got a question." said Rebecca, disappointed at having to start a discussion.

"I'm listening, love," she said, her eyes fixed on the road.

"Are my old vampire books still here?"

Rebecca's mother pouted in exasperation. She couldn't stand vampire stories and watching her daughter read these obscure tales.

"Mum!" snapped Rebecca in dismay.

"There's no need to be nasty," replied Christine dryly. "You should look in the attic after shopping... I can't remember where they're stored. I wouldn't advise you to go and get them, there's too much of a mess."

"Thank you... You seem upset?"

"Why would you say that?"

"Your hands are firmly gripped on to the steering wheel," said Rebecca, who was slumped back in the seat.

Christine refused to continue the discussion. Her daughter grumbled as she turned her head towards her window. It was a bad mood all the way to the shop.

At the supermarket, Rebecca was content to push the trolley while her mother crossed off the list of products already selected. They made their way through the aisles without exchanging a word. As they shopped, a strange atmosphere settled over them. A mysterious presence emanated from the place. Someone seemed to be watching them, and there was a particular smell. My imagination is playing tricks on me, she thought nervously. Nothing reassured her. Rebecca glanced from right to left as if someone were following them. Her hands trembled nervously. Her mother took a long look at her and asked if everything was all right. Rebecca nodded yes, even though her behaviour said otherwise. When the shopping was done, Christine and Rebecca went to the checkout. They unloaded their trolleys while the cashier scanned the items. On the other side of the queue, Rebecca spotted a mysterious woman who vaguely reminded her of something. She was so confused that she dropped a few items near the till. Christine watched her daughter strangely and begged her to be careful.

After shopping, Christine and Rebecca headed for the car. Rebecca put the shopping away while her mother climbed into the front seat. Not far from Christine and her daughter, a strange woman accompanied by a dog, an Australian shepherd with sparkling eyes, approached the car. The woman was dressed in an unusual way: a straight skirt, fur jacket and black hat. Her face was slightly pale and her brown hair showed a cold look. The woman came to the driver's window and startled Rebecca's mother, who hadn't been aware of her presence.

 The woman came to the driver's window and startled Rebecca's mother, who hadn't been aware of her presence

"Hello neighbour!" said the woman, beaming. You've just arrived in Picardie and you're not even going to say hello to me?

"Rose!" shivered Christine, "You scared me!"

"I'm sorry," laughed Rose, who slapped her hand in greeting. "I suppose you're here on holiday?"

"Yes, we're trying, but Rebecca's at university, so she's not really on holiday, if you know what I mean."

Christine motioned for her daughter to come and introduce herself to her friend.

"Rebecca, do you remember Rose Gérard?"

" Vaguely," admitted Rebecca, trying to jog her memory. "Nice to see you again."

"You can't remember," said Rose, "You were little. You used to play with us a lot as a child."

"We'll come and see you at home," promised Christine as she started the car.

Rebecca turned back to the trunk, avoiding Rose's gaze. Mrs Gérard wore a cold, rigid smile - out of the ordinary -. Her dog remained indifferent throughout. Rose continued the conversation with her friend, gazing at Rebecca.

"My son can't wait to meet Rebecca!" she said, smiling wryly.

"Louis?" asked Christine, "I didn't think he'd be here."

"Yes, drop in whenever you like," smiled Madame Gérard, determined.

Christine nodded mechanically. Rebecca joined her mother, apparently distressed. Rose Gérard left, staring at her. At last, Christine and her daughter were on their way home. Rebecca seemed relieved, but still anxious. Mrs Gérard appeared to be a cold, mysterious woman, but she seemed sociable. A strange sensation was created in the car, which instantly froze Rebecca.

"She's getting on my nerves!" said the young woman, tense.

"A bit," reassured Christine, "but she's very nice, you'll see..."