An intelligent troll 🎀

On the road to Vengard, Rebecca was worried. Christine was in grave danger. Gordon had the ability to record the type of hunter in the archives by the weapon assigned to them. The Goth suspected that her mother was risking her life. She cried unceasingly as the troll accompanied her to the nearby city. The beast did not seem unmoved by her passenger's moans. He turned a few times to examine her from head to toe, as she didn't seem to be from around here. To stop her wasting energy, the troll said a few words to her.

"Were you born in the Human World?"

"Yes... can you talk?" astonished Rebecca, who was drying her tears.

"Of course," replied the troll, amused. "Blue-skinned trolls are intelligent enough to talk and act independently."

"That's extraordinary! I don't think trolls know how to talk... they're..."

"... thick brutes with no conscience," sneered the troll who was still pulling the cart.

There was silence, but the giant seemed keen to talk.

"There used to be three types of troll: blue-skinned trolls, green-skinned trolls and grey-skinned trolls."

"I've come across green-skinned trolls for the most part, but you're the first blue-skinned troll I've seen."

"Mainly in Arahsmurd, there are only two or three trolls of my kind. On the other hand, there are many green-skinned trolls in the various kingdoms... The grey were wiped out a long time ago."

"Why were they so dangerous?"

"They were much more dangerous: intelligent and indestructible, according to legend. The rulers were the only ones to silence them forever," replied the troll in a deep voice.

"The rulers?"

"Yes, the three wise men who live in the palace of the City of Arahsmurd. They put an end to the wars between the elves and the trolls. My people were considered enemies and the elves allies. In exchange for our survival, we swore loyalty to all the Hunters of the different Kingdoms."

"Are the rulers that powerful?" exclaimed Rebecca, speechless.

"They are feared wherever they go," stopped the troll, who was buying a flask of water from a shopkeeper.

Rebecca observed the landscape like a child. All around were small trading stalls run by peasants, invigorating travellers. Along the way, the young woman discovered stone slabs leading to the nearby city. Around the passageway, there was greenery and signs pointing the way to other cities and neighbouring kingdoms. In the sky, she saw witches with baskets and goods going in and out of the City of Arahsmurd. A few Hunters were striking with whips, trolls pulling heavy loads. Rebecca felt sad. The atmosphere changed from enchantment to terror.

"Is it always like this here?" exclaimed Rebecca.