The road to truth 🎀

The attacks caused by individuals from elsewhere did not go unnoticed. The damage was reported in the press. The journalists spoke of a natural disaster that had caused injuries. However, Bérénice and Rebecca knew the facts. Even if the young blonde had not been able to see these strange men, their attacks were very real. Rebecca remained cloistered in her room for several days without going to see her parents. More and more, she was losing her appetite for everyday food. The mummified Docile brought her back a few samples of animal blood, which restored her colour and strength. In Rebecca's mind, an inexhaustible number of questions were emerging. One of the mysterious men had asked her if she was a Hunter. The Goth knew nothing about them apart from old Van Helsing chronicles.

Her best friend visited from time to time. She realised that Rebecca wasn't crazy; vampires did exist, and Rebecca was living proof of that. Berenice's repeated visits were evidence of her desire to make amends for anything untoward she had said about the existence of vampires. Berenice, who knew a few stories about creatures of darkness, suggested that one of Rebecca's parents might have been a vampire. The Goth had explained to her that she hadn't been bitten. It was highly likely that Ryan or Christine had some of the mystery in hand. The two friends, in isolation, put their heads together to see what was going on.

"If you have any suspicions about who you are, you should definitely tell your parents," suggested Berenice, encouraging her.

"It's not that simple," admitted Rebecca.

"Why isn't it? You need to know what really happened, true or false? The key is apparently in this book, but you can't open it... One of your parents must know how."

"My mother is never there when I need her, she runs away!" explained Rebecca, exhausted.

"You should talk to your father about it," suggested Bérénice, concentrating.

"And tell him what?"

"What you feel, like you've done with me since we were kids!" replied the young blonde, enthusiastically.

"I don't know who I am and my parents have hidden terrible things from me. If one of them is a vampire, I'll never forgive them," Rebecca concluded, her heart pounding.

It was late when Berenice decided to go home. Berenice encouraged her to talk to her parents and gave her a big hug. Her best friend was impressed by her courage. Seeing Rebecca like this showed her how hard she had worked. All this time, Berenice had refused to admit that vampires existed. Now Rebecca was one. She hadn't been bitten and that made her exceptional. Rebecca walked her quickly back to the station, hugging her again... Berenice was still waiting for an official answer about going on a university exchange. Their reconciliation had done her a world of good.

That evening, Ryan came home from work, exhausted. Christine hadn't been home for a few days. Rebecca went downstairs to meet her father. She brought him water and a dish she'd made: "Baked Salmon" with rice and soy sauce. Ryan smiled at her as he joined her in the dining room. He was relieved to see his daughter, who had been a rarity of late. He accepted her isolation despite the anxiety that was eating away at him. The opportunity to chat over a meal presented itself. Rebecca seemed determined. She took a chair opposite him and watched him eat.

"Dad... How was your day?"

"Good... And you? When can you go back to school? Is your health improving or not? You still don't want to see a doctor?" nagged her father helplessly.